Is it possible to join shape files and Census data using ArcGIS Online?

05-08-2015 01:00 PM
PaulaLambert
New Contributor II

Hi,

I have a subscription to ArcGIS online, and I'd like to map Census block population data from a file. I'm aware that in the ArcDesktop version, you have to join the Census data file with the TIGERLine Shape file, but can you do something similar in the Online version? If so, how?

Thanks in advance for your help and guidance.

8 Replies
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Please note that the GeoNet Help​ space is for discussions about GeoNet itself, not specific applications. When posting questions, please chose the appropriate space for it. I'll move this to the ArcGIS Online​ space.

BAXTERQ_ANDREWS
New Contributor III

I'm pretty sure you can.

SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

I don't believe you join tables in the same way as desktop, but you can certainly perform spatial join type analyses. What exactly are you hoping to achieve with the join?

0 Kudos
PaulaLambert
New Contributor II

My overall goal is to map 30 offices in the state of Virginia, draw a 40 mile boundary, and then calculate the percent (or total) population that falls outside of that threshold. I'd like to use Census block population data to do this, but I need to figure out a way to map the population data as a polygon, not as points. So from what I've read online, it appears that Census data (from American Fact Finder) needs to be joined with TigerLine shape files and then mapped to ArcGIS. If anyone has done something like this before and there is an easier way, please let me know, but I'm not seeing a way to do this through the ArcGIS Online version.

Thank you in advance for your help! I'm really appreciative!

SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

I think the easiest way would be to just use the data available through ArcGIS online. If you click the add data button, and then search for demographics or census, their is a wealth of data related to population that you can add to your map. You can then use your buffers and the analysis tools to perform your query.

0 Kudos
PaulaLambert
New Contributor II

Thanks, Sephe, for your suggestion. I didn't go into the data I'll be using, but it's actually more specific than just block population data, so I do need to download Census data from the site and then map it in GIS as a polygon (this is not readily available in the Arc online layers).  If you or others know more about the "joining" process in the Online version, please let me know. Thanks, all.

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Sounds like you'll need to process your data in the desktop version first.

0 Kudos
AlicePence
Occasional Contributor II

If you have the TigerLine shapefile of the blocks you can bring that into AGOL and with the "perform analysis" toolbox you can use the "Data Enrichment" tool and Enrich the layer with population data - this will add population data into your blocks. Then use the analysis tools to do the buffers.