Select to view content in your preferred language

Is it possible to configure a widget in AGOL without using the Developer Edition to "Check if an address is within City Limits" and return a result?

09-16-2015 01:42 PM
deleted-user-98wuBr0ecX1V
New Contributor

I am looking to create an "address checker."  I want to create a simple web app that will allow the user to type in an address and will return a result that will tell them that is "Is" or "Is Not" within City Limits.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

Kelly Farley​ You can use the Information Lookup template, available in the ArcGIS Online template gallery to perform this task.  The Information Lookup template is a configurable application that you can setup and configure to check if an address is within city limits.

Here are some details that explain how to configure this template:

Configure Information Lookup - Information Lookup | ArcGIS Solutions

Edited to update url to Configure Info Lookup help topic.

ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

Cool! Someone created a widget that does this! The amount of stuff being created on the Esri github is pretty nice - Esri · GitHub - I need to check this more often before trying to reinvent the wheel.

ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

In looking at the documentation for AGOL, I'm afraid it doesn't seem so (I'm looking here: Overview—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS). You have some tools at your disposal, like the SearchWidget with FeatureLayer as the source, and the GeoLookup widget, but none of them would appear to do exactly what you need. It doesn't seem like you could use the Geoprocessing widget, either.

The process itself is certainly doable - I do some similar things with the JSAPI and ArcGIS Server, but you'd need to code a few things. Basically, you'd geocode an address using the search widget, then, on a processing/selection event, you'd execute a map service query using the returned x/y point geometry - you could check to see if is contained by, or intersects, the city limits polygon feature, and if so, return a response to the user.

One thing to consider as well, if the city limits polygon extent is coincidental with zip codes, you could do some simple processing in ArcMap to obtain the "sub regions" list. Then, you could do a simple JS look-up, on the front-end, against the zips list when the user enters an address... just make sure you validate the input first so they can't execute a search without zip. Technically, you wouldn't even need the address at this point, but, it would only be valid if zips did not bleed in/out of the city limits. If it's not coincidental, you might be 80, 90% valid, etc., but it won't be 100% accurate. Neither is geocoding, though! Even if the confidence score is 100, it may not be rooftop and could theoretically place the point outside of the city limits, when, in fact, it is not. Just some things to consider.

0 Kudos