Is ArcGIS Online even being developed anymore?

Jump to solution
12-14-2019 01:11 PM
_____
by

I haven't had to use ArcGIS Online for quite awhile, but I have a need to setup a Collector map for a simple field verification project.

I was hoping I would notice great changes and a nicer interface and functionality, but unfortunately it's like nothing has even changed.

The features in the hosted feature service I published to AGOL look blurry.

I still can't publish feature access layers that symbolize on multiple fields?

This popup configuration tool is the most archaic and painful process I've ever had to use. Why in the world can I not just drag the fields? And why is the window so small? This actually made me not even want to use Collector anymore:

Even the popups look terrible.

The whole thing is just a bad experience.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
H__AlexHuskey
New Contributor III

Ian: I've experienced everything you mention, and also long for a powerful online mapping platform. Instead of providing the information density of a Rand McNally atlas (yes, I said it; that's what we need with the beauty of zoom & pan on screen!) Esri has apparently opted for the look of a beginner's bad SharePoint page, where whitespace spreads everything out and forces users to scroll forever just to see what they need. Even copying ArcMap's filter & symbology functionality would be instant progress, but Esri is more interested in announcing new this & that in ArcUser magazine than pleasing paying customers. The data world is exploding with promises of DevOps, Agile, and constant improvement but that's falling on deaf ears in digital cartography. If there were any true map authors at Esri, they wouldn't stand for the status quo and would be driving functionality & User eXperience to new heights ahead of customers.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Have you had a chance to check out the Map Viewer Beta we released in November?

Introducing the next generation of map making with Map Viewer Beta 

For more info on the new popup experience read here:

Fast, flexible and fun: The new pop-up experience in the next generation Map Viewer Beta 

You can track new features and post your feedback for the beta here:

https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-online-map-viewer-beta 

Hope this helps with some of the feature comments you had above.

Russ

H__AlexHuskey
New Contributor III

Ian: I've experienced everything you mention, and also long for a powerful online mapping platform. Instead of providing the information density of a Rand McNally atlas (yes, I said it; that's what we need with the beauty of zoom & pan on screen!) Esri has apparently opted for the look of a beginner's bad SharePoint page, where whitespace spreads everything out and forces users to scroll forever just to see what they need. Even copying ArcMap's filter & symbology functionality would be instant progress, but Esri is more interested in announcing new this & that in ArcUser magazine than pleasing paying customers. The data world is exploding with promises of DevOps, Agile, and constant improvement but that's falling on deaf ears in digital cartography. If there were any true map authors at Esri, they wouldn't stand for the status quo and would be driving functionality & User eXperience to new heights ahead of customers.

_____
by

My favorite part of the Configure Attributes window is that when you click the up arrow to move a field up it then jumps the scroll bar to the bottom of the window. Quite the feature!

DouglasCochran
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you for everyone's feedback and has been noted for ArcGIS Online. Please feel free to direct message me for opportunities to join some of our usability and holistic studies, we would really appreciate your user experience opinions, good or bad!

0 Kudos