Intermittent 504 gateway timeouts with hosted feature layers

12-07-2017 08:02 AM
JohnFannon
Occasional Contributor III

Hi

We have a customer for whom we have published some data as an ArcGIS online hosted feature service. We have a process that applies changes to the hosted layers based on changes in their database, including adds, updates and deletes. The process is written in python and the code is sending http requests to the layer's REST endpoint (i.e. addFeatures, updateFeatures, deleteFeatures).

The code is working fine generally and has been for some months, but we are increasingly seeing intermittent errors in the log for our process that are related to http requests, especially Error 504 (Gateway Timeout). I've looked into error 504 and this suggests a timeout is occuring between internal servers in ArcGIS Online. The error seems to occur most frequently when updating a specific layer (using updateFeatures), which has approx. 4500 features, but occasionally occurs with update requests to other layers with fewer features (approx. 500). It is totally intermittent, so during one run one request might fail, but then the next will succeed.

We have put in place some work arounds, such as making a number of attempts at the request when it fails and limiting the number of features updated per request. However, we are still seeing some instances of error 504.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experience similar when applying regular updates to an AGOL hosted feature service?

Regards

John

GIS4BUSINESS

35 Replies
VincentLantaca
New Contributor III

I haven't noticed much of a difference throughout times of the day. I had a case with ESRI support on this and they were able to reproduce the issue with the same scripts I have provided in this thread, and ended up logging a bug for AGOL proxy services.

NathanHeickLACSD
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks for putting in the hard work with Technical Support.  That can be slow sometimes.  I did update my script to retry if it fails and wait 30 minutes in between.  It hasn't been a problem since.

BlytheSpendlove
Occasional Contributor

Could you share the bug number?

0 Kudos
VincentLantaca
New Contributor III

The bug number was BUG-000147513

BlytheSpendlove
Occasional Contributor

Thank you! 🙂

0 Kudos
RamonWilliams
New Contributor III

Has there been a fix to the time out 504 error since the last post of 3/21/22.  I am creating views from a py script and get the error constantly i'm on the east coast.  seems like my script work better after 5 eastern time and late nights.  I am creating views from a AGOL feature service that has about 75 point layers and I creating views for every state and county in the US.