Interactive Legend Web App

Jump to solution
04-03-2019 08:16 AM
EvanStern
New Contributor II

I have made a map in ArcMap and published it on AGOL. I would like to create an interactive legend with it, but when I try making the app it tells me that their are drawing styles that won't work with it. Any suggestions? Screen shot below.

Evan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IanWittenmyer
Esri Contributor

OK, cool. So when you were processing the data, it looks like a separate feature layer was created for each vegetation zone.  What you would want to do instead is keep all of the vegetation data in the same feature layer, and have an attribute that describes the vegetation zones.  You could then use this attribute to drive the symbology with the Type (Unique Symbols) drawing style.  So its the difference between having many layers using the location (single symbol) drawing style drawing style to represent the vegetation vs having one layer using the types (unique symbols) style to represent the different areas.

We are looking to add support the location (single symbol) style in the next release of the interactive legend, but one of the reasons we didn't include it in the first release is that when a layer is symbolized in this way, the Layer List tool can perform the function of toggling the visibility of each layer on and off.    

Here are some samples that will hopefully assist in your project.    

I downloaded the dataset and then added a text field for the veg description, the resulting shapefile can be downloaded here.

a sample map that I made with is can be viewed here, and the resulting interactive legend app is here.

Let me know if this will work for you and if you have any other questions.

Cheers,
Ian

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
IanWittenmyer
Esri Contributor

Hi Evan,

Are you able to share the map so I can take a look? 

If not, what is the layer type you have?

Is the symbology stored in the web map or in the layer?

The current release supports a subset of the drawing styles the the web map is capable of achieving.  

Supported Drawing Styles:
  • Types (Unique symbols)
  • Counts and amounts (Size) - Classify Data Checked
  • Counts and Amounts (Color) - Classify Data Checked
  • Predominant Category
  • Predominant Category and Size (Partially interactive)
  • Types and Size (Partially interactive)
For instructions on how to modify the legend drawing style, see this topic: change style
EvanStern
New Contributor II

Ian,

Thanks for the quick response. I don't know enough to really answer your questions, or where to look to find answers. I just made the map public so you can view it, and it is live here: http://arcg.is/0qXaC11 

I will look into the "change styles" link you shared.

Thanks!

Evan

0 Kudos
IanWittenmyer
Esri Contributor

Hi Evan,

I think i see the issue. Did you start with this dataset?  from http://geospatial.ohiodnr.gov/data-metadata/search-by-category

THEME:Original Natural Vegetation of Ohio
THEME ID:3135
CATEGORY:Biologic; LandUse/LandCover;
ABSTRACT:The Natural Vegetation of Ohio, at the Time of the Earliest Land Surveys, by Robert B. Gordon, Ohio Biological Survey, 1966. These data are polygon features digitized from the original publication map.
0 Kudos
EvanStern
New Contributor II

Ian,

Yes, that's the dataset I used from ODNR.

Evan

0 Kudos
IanWittenmyer
Esri Contributor

OK, cool. So when you were processing the data, it looks like a separate feature layer was created for each vegetation zone.  What you would want to do instead is keep all of the vegetation data in the same feature layer, and have an attribute that describes the vegetation zones.  You could then use this attribute to drive the symbology with the Type (Unique Symbols) drawing style.  So its the difference between having many layers using the location (single symbol) drawing style drawing style to represent the vegetation vs having one layer using the types (unique symbols) style to represent the different areas.

We are looking to add support the location (single symbol) style in the next release of the interactive legend, but one of the reasons we didn't include it in the first release is that when a layer is symbolized in this way, the Layer List tool can perform the function of toggling the visibility of each layer on and off.    

Here are some samples that will hopefully assist in your project.    

I downloaded the dataset and then added a text field for the veg description, the resulting shapefile can be downloaded here.

a sample map that I made with is can be viewed here, and the resulting interactive legend app is here.

Let me know if this will work for you and if you have any other questions.

Cheers,
Ian

0 Kudos
EvanStern
New Contributor II

Ian,

You went above and beyond, much appreciated. This will work.

Thanks,

Evan

MarcGraham2
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Ian,

Enhancement request:

when you set the legend to mute it should mute the legend symbols with the same grey/transparency as the symbols in the map.

Regards,

Marc

0 Kudos