Imagery layers have no image properties or time - how to simulate Google Earth

09-03-2021 10:19 AM
Labels (1)
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I found a few old posts but no answers.  I must be missing something.

Our crews keep going back to Google Earth to view historical imagery.  We really want to keep them in Arc but I cannot seem to come close to replicating how Earth works.

Tried ArcGIS Earth and nothing there at all.

Tried the https://livingatlas.arcgis.com/wayback but the interface is terrible.  No simple time slider just lists of imagery.  Even using it you have to pick out specific years then make a map.  Why is this not time slider enabled?

Some posts show imagery settings like this using NAIP.  But here there is no Enable Time settings at all.  Why?

DougBrowning_1-1630689272642.png

The imagery layers in both basemap and as a layer do not have any of this.

DougBrowning_0-1630689225039.png

Landsat has it but that is so course and it does not even work.  Sentinel 2 no Time settings either.  And no way to go backwards which is weird.

ArcScene cannot seem to even get close to any of this.

Does anyone have a way here?  Why is this not built in like Google Earth - they have had it for like a decade.  I would prefer this in 3D but will take any idea at this point. 

Thanks for any ideas.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@DougBrowning this sounds more like an idea to me. ESRI will have a historic cache of data for their imagery service. If they could time enable an image service from a composite mosaic dataset, we'd get the same behaviour as the GE historic imagery slider. 

I suppose it will still be limited to ESRIs poor quality imagery compared with Google's more premium archive that has a shorter update frequency and is generally crisper 

David
..Maps with no limits..
0 Kudos