Select to view content in your preferred language

I can't edit attribute table in ArcGIS Online and I'm admin. What's wrong?

02-24-2017 06:50 AM
MeganPrescott
Emerging Contributor

I'm Administrator for my organization - and the only person in the organization. I uploaded a shapefile from my computer to a map in mapviewer (it's not even a published layer) but no option to edit the table is appearing even when I first show the table. I want to add and edit fields so I don't have to go back and forth with ArcMap. 

Can someone please tell me what simple thing I'm doing wrong? I can't find helpful documentation.  

0 Kudos
2 Replies
CarmelConnolly3
Deactivated User

Hi Megan,

Do you have an edit option on the toiolbar above the Content section? I'd say you can't edit the shapefile as it's basically just a graphic at the moment and has limited functionality.

I'd recommend adding the shapefile through your My Content first using this workflow: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/share-maps/add-items.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_AE3B53E5DB5B4C37B2414... and choose 'Publish this file as a hosted layer'. 2 items will be added to your My Content, the shapefile and a Feature Layer (hosted) which you can add to a web map and edit.

Carmel

MeganPrescott
Emerging Contributor

Thanks Carmel, 

I discovered my problem... I didn't noticed the enable editing button on the dropdown of the layer. Everything is editing well now.

Thanks for your time.