How to use the geometry of a related record in Arcade

Jump to solution
04-08-2020 12:00 AM
GavinWepener
New Contributor II

Good morning all

I am trying to calculate the distance between points in two different feature layers using Arcade. 

Using FeatureSetById I can pull the data for the related feature layer, but how do I use the geometry of the related feature in the arcade Distance function?

Please help, I cannot find any documentation on how to do this.

Thanks

Gavin

//First read out the unique id of current feature
var A1 = $feature.holenumber
//Access the second feature
var A2 = FeatureSetById($map, /* Designed_drilling */ "Designed_drilling_3788", ['holenumber'], true)

//create sql expression
var A3 = "holenumber = '" + A1 + "'"

// filter the second feature using the sql expression
var A4 = Filter(A2, A3)

return A4

//Distance($feature, $A4, 'meters')

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Gavin Wepener ,

Glad to hear that the expression worked (after altering the coordinate system). Can you mark the post that answered your question as the correct answer?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
XanderBakker

Hi 2123590 ,

Remember that when you use Filter it will return a featureset (even if there is only 1 result in it). Therefore, you will have to access for instance the first feature in the featureset to be able to use the geometry. I also recommend you to use more understandable names for your variables for readability.

//First read out the unique id of current feature
var holenumber = $feature.holenumber;

//Access the second feature
var fs_designed = FeatureSetById($map, /* Designed_drilling */ "Designed_drilling_3788", ['holenumber'], true);

//create sql expression
var sql = "holenumber = '" + holenumber + "'";

// filter the second feature using the sql expression
var filtered_holes = Filter(fs_designed, sql); // this returns a featureset!

// set default distance
var dist = -1;
if (Count(filtered_holes)) {
    // the filter returned in a result, take the first feature
    var designed_hole = First(filtered_holes);
    // get the geometry
    var geom = Geometry(designed_hole);
    // calculate the distance
    dist = Distance($feature, geom, 'meters');
}

return dist;
GavinWepener
New Contributor II

Good morning Xander Bakker

Thanks for the help, unfortunately when I run the script you gave, I just get a run time error. I ran the different functions separately to make sure they each work and that I get geometry out and not a feature set. But everything checks out, but still the run time error. 

Where do I look for the issue? Could it be my data?

Regards,

Gavin

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Hi 2123590 ,

If it would be possible to have access to the data or a sample of it I could test it and see what is going wrong. Is that possible?

0 Kudos
GavinWepener
New Contributor II

Hi Xander Bakker

I managed to figure out the problem and it was not the arcade expression. My data is in a projected coordinated system, if I use one of the ESRI base maps, the expression works. If I use my own base map that is in the same projected coordinate system, the expression crashes. I assume it has to do with how ArcGIS calculates distance in a web map. (The expression works 100% in ArcGIS Pro.)

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Gavin

XanderBakker

Hi Gavin Wepener ,

Glad to hear that the expression worked (after altering the coordinate system). Can you mark the post that answered your question as the correct answer?

0 Kudos