How to Update AGOL Web Map

10-26-2018 09:49 AM
DaveGrolling1
New Contributor III

I created a web map in my AGOL content folder after publishing from ArcMap as a Portal feature service. I created a web map in AGOL by bringing in the service URL. I have three group layers with several layers within each group. In the AGOL map viewer, I went through each layer and configured the popups and symbology. After I had done this, I needed to add a new layer to one of the groups, so I added it to my MXD group layer of interest, republished the service and then went to the web map that is fed from this service. The web map doesn't update with the new layer, so I was trying to figure out how to update the web map without having to recreate the entire thing in AGOL? I don't want to really do this each time I have to add a new layer in the MXD because of the configurations I have on each layer with the popups and symbology. Am I missing some process/option to refresh the TOC so that it adds the changes I made to the service?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Dave,

Your map in AGOL is not directly tied to your .mxd in ArcMap, since that is stored locally on your machine. If I'm ever in that situation and I need to add a new layer, I just publish a new hosted feature layer from ArcMap into AGOL and add that to the web map. Then you will only have to configure that one new layer, and all your previous additions to the map remain the same.

The only downside to this workflow I suppose is that then not all of your layers in the map are stored in the same hosted feature layer. But that's never been a huge problem for me, since it doesn't really affect the user of the web map. All the layers are there in the table of contents, which is usually all that matters to the user of the map. 

Hope I understood correctly and explained adequately!

Cheers,

Katherine

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
DaveGrolling1
New Contributor III

Hi Katherine, I edited my post to clarify that I'm not publishing from ArcMap to AGOL directly, but pulling in a web service into AGOL web map from our Portal.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Did you bring the service directly into the web map or did you add the service as an item in your ArcGIS Online content?

0 Kudos
DaveGrolling1
New Contributor III

Steps that I took:

1) publish map as a map service

2) create a map in my AGOL content folder

3) added the map service to the AGOL map

4) symbolized and configured popups then saved map

5) brought the map into Web App Builder

0 Kudos
KristalWalsh
Occasional Contributor II

Katie, I am following this topic but I don't think I have quite the same situation. I am fairly new to AGOL and have created a custom hosted feature layer with domains and lists and saved to a web map. But when I go back to change or add new fields, it does not update the web map in Collector unless I save to a new map. I can't imagine I would need to create a new web map each time. I still need to add 2 more feature layers to the same web map and can see this getting messy. Where is the step I am missing? Thank you!

Kristal Walsh, Florida Fish and Wildlife
Office of Conservation Planning
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi Dave,

I think you are in this boat too:

-Bill

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is a serious issue with web maps. I have to ask, since there are threads on this many years old. Esri Team folks - is this In Product Plan to fix? 

The problem: If you add or remove a layer to a web map, you need to re-add the service. So if you have 50 layers in the service with lots of custom popups, guess what, you get to redo them. And if it's production, that means you get to do it Sunday night or have down time.  Perhaps it can be fixed when they do the big update to enable Grouping of layers and sublayers of map image dynamic layers?

Katie, would saving it as an item is that supposed to fix this?  I have tried that, still the same issue the web map does not see the changes in a service, it's hard-wired in to the way it was initially added. I would say this is on par with level of need as grouping of layers in web maps.

AdrianMarsden
Occasional Contributor III

WTF---This is still an issue?  I gave up on AGOL maps 3 years ago as the management was a nightmare, adding a field meant re-doing all the work.  I can't believe it still hasn't been resolved!

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Adrian and all, I have never used LocalLayers widget.  I was wondering, would it get around this issue??

0 Kudos