How to restore corrupted Modified Dates in Content page?

06-12-2019 10:58 AM
JasonSmolinski
New Contributor III

About a week ago I noticed that any item in my Content page that was created prior to May 16 2019 now has a "Modified" date of May 16 2019.  For me, that means 4 years worth of content (over 2,000 items) is now dated May 16 and is no longer sortable. 

Clicking an item to get to its details page shows that it retains the original Created date, but in the Content page the Modified dates, and thus the ability to sort, is now broken.  Save for a handful of items after May 16 which are dated correctly, everything else incorrectly displays the wrong date.

This could potentially be a significant problem for me.

Has anyone seen this before?

Does anyone know what might cause this?

Does anyone know how to reverse this?  

No unusual actions occurred on this date.  I created one point layer from spreadsheet (CSV) and ran two instances of Find Existing Locations.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

HI Jason,

I'd suggest taking a look at the audit log to see if anyone updated the items. Here is a sample of how to do this:

https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/arcgisonline/blog/2018/09/24/find-events-related-to...

and a blog for more context.

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/administration/exploring-the-organization-ac...

I'd also suggest getting in contact with tech support if no answers come up there. The date modified shouldn't be updated unless someone has updated the item.

Let us know what you find out and if you have more questions.

-Kelly

JasonSmolinski
New Contributor III

Thank you.

So, it seems like it may have been an issue with GeoJobe in which doing a set of permission updates at once actually changes the modified date, as opposed to changing permissions via AGO itself which does NOT change the modified dates. 

Bummer!

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Thanks for following up Jason.

What are you using the date modified for? Is it for when the item is updated or are you looking for more specific information about data updates? 

-Kelly

JasonSmolinski
New Contributor III

It more or less helps to see items chronologically in my Content page.  Since they all turned to May 16, 2019, that quick glance sort is no longer an option. 

Now, if AGO allowed sorting by Creation date, that would be great!  But sorting my title and modified are the only two choices.

KellyGerrow

Thanks Jason,

Being able to sort by creation date sounds like a good idea. I'll share this with the team but would also encourage you to log this on the ideas site.

-Kelly

0 Kudos