Select to view content in your preferred language

How to count features within a polygon on ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
04-18-2018 04:08 PM
RyanHowell1
New Contributor III

I have a polygon layer and a table that shows records relating to the different polygons. I have both hosted on ArcGIS online and want to show a chloropleth map (online) showing the number of points that intersect with the polygons. I also want the data to be easy to edit as I will be continually adding to the table, so the fewer steps I have to redo over and over again to update the chloropleth map would be ideal.

I've searched forums and tried different tools on ArcPro but nothing is quite working, most of them require an output and I'm not having much luck getting what I want. I've also tried joins and creating a "count" field and different forms of "intersect" type tools, but I can't find the right one.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Ryan,

Currently I would suggest using one of the summarize data analysis tools. Try aggregate points or perform a one to many spatial join:

Perform analysis—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Aggregate points

Join Features

-Kelly

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Ryan,

Currently I would suggest using one of the summarize data analysis tools. Try aggregate points or perform a one to many spatial join:

Perform analysis—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Aggregate points

Join Features

-Kelly

0 Kudos
RyanHowell1
New Contributor III

As a clarification of what I have/what I want to do, my polygon layer is units within a state (approximately 25) and my table has a field referencing one of those units (i.e "this feature corresponds with unit #3). So ideally I can do some kind of an analysis to count the number of records that correspond with each unit, and then display that as a count field or something so I can symbolize the polygon file based on the count.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Nearby in Kelly's first link.. did you see Summarize Within ...

0 Kudos