How to convert a point layer to a polygon layer?

10-22-2020 05:18 PM
dpatton
New Contributor

I am trying to alter a rather large dataset about solar radiation across the US. 

https://arcg.is/0fvmu5 

This map was downloaded from the NREL as a zip file. The table has an ID, Gridcode, Long, Lat, etc. The data is gridded into 10km by 10km squares.

GIS recognizes this layer as a Polygon layer, and gives me quite a few styling options to represent it.

I wanted to calculate an optimal tilt for solar panels based on Latitude and add it to my pop-ups. I exported the map's table as a CSV and did this calculation in Excel. The new table is identical to the one I exported except that it has a new column that is the optimal tilt.

I imported this new table back into ArcGIS online, however, it uploaded as a point layer instead of a polygon layer. When mapping any data, it represents my data as points instead of polygons. 

Singular points still represent a square area of 10km by 10km. The data is actually identical to my previous map (save for the new addition). I only have two styling options, neither of which represent my data efficiently.

As I stated previously, GIS lists this new feature layer as a point layer instead of a polygon layer. I am confused as to why this is the case. Is there a way that I can change this to a polygon layer so that I have more options in visually representing this data?

Tldr: GIS online views my feature layer as a point layer. I want GIS to view my point layer as a Polygon layer.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You could have joined the point layer to the polygon layer to get your desired attributes back to the original dataset

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
dpatton
New Contributor

Yes, I did consider that, but the dataset is too large to be used with the Join Features tool. After about 6 hours of it processing that analysis, I gave up on it.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

That leaves you with converting it back to a raster because converting a point to a polygon is going to be a more onerous computational task

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
PaulSweeney3
Occasional Contributor III

If you have pro you can do a join and just calculate the field s across its quicker then join field's.  Can the calculation  be done directly into the table on arcgis online ? 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Sorry, I don't do arcgis online much and I tend to use arcpy.ExtendTable to do joins.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos