How to access usage statistics?

07-09-2015 07:56 AM
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

From an AGOL hosted feature service, there is the very neat "Usage" tool. How does one access this programatically, e.g via python or the REST API? This is some very useful data, but having to visit a large number of service definition pages, individually, is not very effective. We'd like to be able to query and report of service useage statistics for all hosted feature services within the organization. We do NOT consider "Number of Times Viewed" a very reliable counter, as that is not capturing hits to the service that are originating from other apps, such as web map or geojson query.

11 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

And just to point out, the very simple report you get from the organization statistics page is NOT what I'm looking for. All that give you is a simple graph, the same thing as the Usage button in the item details. We are looking to access the raw usage data for manipulation in Excel. I can do this with ArcGIS Server, why not with AGOL?

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I don't have access to Tools · Esri/ago-admin-wiki Wiki · GitHub right now, but maybe you can check if there is a tool included that extract statistics...

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

There is no documentation for this part of the API at this point in time.

Here is a link to some helpful github resources regarding tools used to enhance administration: Tools · Esri/ago-admin-wiki Wiki · GitHub

If this is something that you would like to suggest as a desired feature in future releases of the software, please log an idea on the ideas site at http://ideas.arcgis.com

Cheers,

Kelly

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

There are no tools, python or other, that include this functionality. Are you saying that the functionality exists, is possible to access, but not documented? ArcGIS Ideas doesn't seem like an effective way to communicate customer enhancement requests to ESRI: the ratio of ideas implemented, versus ideas requested, is miserably low, wouldn't you agree?

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Just so you know: ArcGIS Ideas is being monitored constantly. To give an example, ArcGIS Pro was initiated based on the ideas posted and implements the top most wanted ideas.

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

I believe not having a software license model tied to requiring internet connectivity was, and is, one of the top ArcGIS Pro ideas....

XanderBakker

True, ArcGIS Pro requires Internet (or Intranet if using Portal) to assign and change the licence level and/or extensions. What I am referring at, is that Esri decided to create this new App to be able to respond to the top ideas at that moment.

The point is, I think you suggestion to be able to consume the statistics is a very good suggestion. If it is not possible through the tools offered in the Github repository it would be a great addition. If you create this idea at ArcGIS ideas and post back the link to it, I will be happy to promote the idea.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

The link to the idea would be: ArcGIS Idea - Access Raw data from AGOL Feature Service usage statistics . The one you included was generate after logging in and links to the login page of salesforce (I know that's not very user friendly).

I just promoted your idea.