How to access 'My Content' from within ArcGIS 10 Desktop

Jump to solution
08-09-2012 01:56 PM
MikeHares
New Contributor
After starting ArcMAP and signing into ArcGIS Online with my userid and password, when i select 'Add Data From ArcGIS Online', and choose 'My Data', it does not show me any of the maps that should show up under 'My Content'. How can i access the maps that are in My Content from ArcMap?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor
Hi Mike

The easiest way to use your ArcGIS Online maps and data in ArcMap is to look for the 'Open in ArcGIS for Desktop' in the Open menu for the item when you work with it in the ArcGIS Online website. You'll see the Open menu next to the item when it is listed in search results and also if you view the full details page for an item. So from the My Contents listing in the ArcGIS Online website, click on the item to get to its full details page, then click the Open menu to get to the 'Open in ArcGIS for Desktop' command. If you are already in the ArcGIS Online website, this is easier than using the commands in ArcMap because you will likely already be looking at the item(s) you want to use. (Remember that in the ArcGIS Online website, it won't show Desktop-only content like layer packages when you do searches, etc unless you switch to 'Show: All Content' in the header of the page.).

The bug mentioned by my colleague above is incorrect. Here's how it works: In ArcMap 10 and 10.1 if you choose the File > Add Data > Add Data From ArcGIS Online command, the window that appears only shows data that can be added as a layer into your existing map, so it filters out web maps because when you open a web map in ArcMap it doesn't get added into your existing map as a layer: it gets converted into a map document and replaces your existing map the same as if you had used the File > Open command to open a new MXD file. If you want to open a web map in ArcMap, use the File > ArcGIS Online command, which gives you access to everything in ArcGIS Online which can be added to or opened in ArcMap.

Last thing to note is that if you are using ArcGIS for Desktop 10.0 with any SP, opening a web map in ArcMap will not bring all of that web map's content into ArcMap. You'll only see the basemap and layers based on ArcGIS Server map services. We've fixed this in 10.1, so upgrade to 10.1 when you can if you want to see feature services, hosted map services, layers based on shapefiles, layers based on CSV files, etc.

Rupert Essinger
ArcGIS development team

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Mike,

What version of ArcMap are you working with?
Are you trying to access Web Maps, Feature Services, or Map Packages?

Cheers,
Andrew
0 Kudos
MikeHares
New Contributor
I am using ArcGIS Desktop 10 Service Pack 3 (ArcMap 10.0)

I am trying to access Web Maps i have created myself. (see attachment)

Thanks
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Mike,

By default the Add In filters to show Services and Packages, but does not return Web Maps. Looking at the screen shot you attached, you only have web maps in your content and that's why it's not appearing.

We document in the help that you can add 'web map' to your search and they will return, but I this does not appear to be working for me. I have logged a bug in our system for this.

NIM083743: Support opening the contents of the web map within the existing Map Document, by allowing web maps to be opend by the 'Add Data' command.

Cheers,
Andrew
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Mike,

Good news... If you follow the workflow from ArcMap to access ArcGIS Online by Choosing 'File' then ArcGIS Online from the menu you can filter and return 'web map' items.

If you try from the add data button or add data option from File, it will not work as the previously posted bug describes.

Thank you,
Andrew
0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor
Hi Mike

The easiest way to use your ArcGIS Online maps and data in ArcMap is to look for the 'Open in ArcGIS for Desktop' in the Open menu for the item when you work with it in the ArcGIS Online website. You'll see the Open menu next to the item when it is listed in search results and also if you view the full details page for an item. So from the My Contents listing in the ArcGIS Online website, click on the item to get to its full details page, then click the Open menu to get to the 'Open in ArcGIS for Desktop' command. If you are already in the ArcGIS Online website, this is easier than using the commands in ArcMap because you will likely already be looking at the item(s) you want to use. (Remember that in the ArcGIS Online website, it won't show Desktop-only content like layer packages when you do searches, etc unless you switch to 'Show: All Content' in the header of the page.).

The bug mentioned by my colleague above is incorrect. Here's how it works: In ArcMap 10 and 10.1 if you choose the File > Add Data > Add Data From ArcGIS Online command, the window that appears only shows data that can be added as a layer into your existing map, so it filters out web maps because when you open a web map in ArcMap it doesn't get added into your existing map as a layer: it gets converted into a map document and replaces your existing map the same as if you had used the File > Open command to open a new MXD file. If you want to open a web map in ArcMap, use the File > ArcGIS Online command, which gives you access to everything in ArcGIS Online which can be added to or opened in ArcMap.

Last thing to note is that if you are using ArcGIS for Desktop 10.0 with any SP, opening a web map in ArcMap will not bring all of that web map's content into ArcMap. You'll only see the basemap and layers based on ArcGIS Server map services. We've fixed this in 10.1, so upgrade to 10.1 when you can if you want to see feature services, hosted map services, layers based on shapefiles, layers based on CSV files, etc.

Rupert Essinger
ArcGIS development team
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Rupert / Mike,

The bug has been updated to be an Enhancement request for the following:
"Support opening the contents of the web map within the existing Map Document, by allowing web maps to be opened by the 'Add Data' command."

If you feel this is something that many ArcGIS Users would like to see, you may want to post this to the ArcGIS Ideas site. Once posted here, other members within the community can vote up your idea and add comments that help support the idea. We frequently review and monitor the site for future product enhancements.

Cheers,
Andrew
0 Kudos