Select to view content in your preferred language

How do I keep editing private on a publicly shared map

10-14-2015 12:50 PM
ShawnaFowlds
New Contributor

Hey everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has has success with keeping the editing of a map private within an organization once the map has been publicly shared? I found this blog post: Enable colleagues to update your maps and apps | ArcGIS Blog,,   however  it does not allow for editing of a layer and only lets you update a feature. It says it does allow editing, but I cannot get it to work. All of my settings are correct, so I am not to sure what more I am missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Shawna,

Check the feature layer properties to make sure you have the ability to add, update and delete features.

screen1.PNG

0 Kudos
ShawnaFowlds
New Contributor

Hi Jake.

I have all of that set up, and I can edit the file fine. The only problem is that everyone else can edit it if they find the map online. I am just wondering how to keep the editing private within my organization but still having it as a public map. The only solution I can think of is enabling editing when needed and then disabling it when finished, but this is not ideal as it needs to be done quickly.

0 Kudos
FrankVignati
Frequent Contributor

have two maps, one you share publicly and one for the organization with the same feature services for editing, it's as simple as "save as"

if you haven't already, use the web apps for sharing to the public instead of the maps

0 Kudos
SethLewis1
Frequent Contributor

Shawna,

Are your data being hosted in AGOL? Or are you publishing via ArcGIS Server?

If it's the former then I'm not aware of a method whereby you can restrict editing to certain parties in an ArcGIS Online webmap if the webmap is publicly shared.

If you're using ArcGIS Server then you could publish two services, one secured and capable of having its features edited and one available to the public with only Query capabilities.

0 Kudos
KyleBalke__GISP
Frequent Contributor

Shawna,

Via ArcGIS Online Help documentation:

Restrict editing of public layers

Sometimes, you need to make a hosted feature layer available to the public for viewing, but you only want a few members of your organization to edit it. If you enabled editing on a public hosted feature layer, anyone could edit it. Instead, share the hosted feature layer with a group that an Esri-defined Administrator created and configured to allow editing of all contents. Add or invite organization members to this group who you want to edit items. All items shared to this group can be updated by group members, including hosted feature layers that do not have editing enabled.

When members need to edit the hosted feature layer, they open the hosted feature layer's details and click Open > Add layer to new map with editing enabled.

JessicaKirby2
Occasional Contributor

Is it possible to save a webmap with the with the layer that has been added using the "Add layer to new map with editing enabled" and have it open with those permissions each time?  So the person editing does not have to open a new map every time they need to edit? 

and is this available with collector???

0 Kudos