Hosted Feature Layer view can't be updated with new fields

05-02-2022 01:10 PM
HBottelberghe_eci
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I'm working with a view of a hosted feature layer. I added new fields to the hosted feature layer. I made sure the new fields are visible in the table of the hosted feature layer. But when I go to 'Update View' for the view layer from its Settings tab, the new fields are not available in the list of fields available when I click 'Select Fields'. 

Has anyone encountered this problem with adding fields to the view layer definition and can't find them even if they are toggled visible for the source hosted feature layer? Were you able to resolve the problem, if so - how did you resolve the problem

Thanks,
Heather Bottelberghe

14 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Some version of this question comes up pretty often here. When you say "added new fields", can you confirm whether you did that from the Data tab in AGOL, or if you republished the service with the new fields added?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
HBottelberghe_eci
New Contributor II

Hi Josh,

I added fields via the Data tab in AGOL.

Best,

Heather Bottelberghe

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Oh, well that is strange! You're the second person in as many weeks to add fields the "right" way, but then the Update View menu doesn't give you the option of adding those new fields. This sounds like it might be a bug in the latest version of AGOL.

I usually use Portal, but I logged into AGOL to test this, and I can confirm the same behavior. Fields added to the parent do not show as available to the view. I'd submit a bug report to support.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
HBottelberghe_eci
New Contributor II

Yes, very weird behavior. It was also the last of 7 layers and view pairs that I had applied similar changes to. I was able to update the first 6 view definitions by adding new fields without a hitch. It was only with this one that I encountered this error.

0 Kudos
ZoeBroek
Occasional Contributor

Is in any of the views the data editable? I had the same problem and I eventually just created a new view.

The following articles states that this should be working = Problem: Hosted feature view does not inherit new field added to hosted feature service (esri.com)

@jcarlson Did you report this bug? 

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I've not reported the bug, only because I rarely use AGOL. Besides a test on a throwaway layer, I don't have any other relevant experience or meaningful feedback with this particular bug, whereas a report from a "real" example might be more helpful to Support.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
HBottelberghe_eci
New Contributor II

@ZoeBroek The views have editing disabled. I also ended up creating a new view as well.

0 Kudos
ErikHerbergMETC
New Contributor III

Same issue here- and now seen a handful of similar posts about this in the forums. I added fields to the hosted feature layer in AGOL from the Data tab. Only one of the five new fields I added was available to add to the view when following the posted work-around (https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000017596). Then I did a bunch of mucking about - adding and deleting fields, changing settings, etc - to try and get something to work, but nothing. I'm hoping there is a fix in the works, because I'd like to avoid publishing a new view and then having to update and republish the public forms to connect to the view.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have exactly the same issue. I added new fields using the 'Data' tab for the source feature service, then tried to update the feature service views adding these fields and received the error 'The view layer could not be updated. Try again'.

I would really prefer not to recreate these views from scratch.

0 Kudos