Hiding data after public input

Jump to solution
09-27-2019 10:58 AM
AdamCottrell
Occasional Contributor II

I'm wanting to make a form/app for public input only but, after data is submitted, make the data inaccessible outside of the form.  My understanding is that to make a hosted feature layer available for data entry to the public in a form would also make that feature layer available outside of the form/app.  My understanding is this means that you could search for that feature layer through the basic search in AGOL and see the whole data table.  Is there a way to make just that layer available through the app and inaccessible everywhere else in the AGOL environment?  The reason is that I'm looking for a solution that allows a resident to enter their ownership information into a form based web app but now allow that data to be searchable or used in any other manner outside of its intended purpose.

Thank in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarisaClaggett

Hi Adam,

According to our documentation, you can configure this in the Hosted Feature Layer settings.

Manage hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

If you want editors to only see the features they create, select Editors can only see their own features (requires tracking) under the What features can editors see? setting. Enable this option if the layer contains sensitive or proprietary information such as medical records or research data for which editors might only have clearance to work with the data they collect.

If you want to keep the original hosted feature layer private, you can create a hosted feature layer view, where you can configure editor tracking and change what editors can see.  The original layer will be private, while the view can be public.

Create hosted feature layer views—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Let me know if this helps!

Best,

Marisa

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MarisaClaggett

Hi Adam,

According to our documentation, you can configure this in the Hosted Feature Layer settings.

Manage hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

If you want editors to only see the features they create, select Editors can only see their own features (requires tracking) under the What features can editors see? setting. Enable this option if the layer contains sensitive or proprietary information such as medical records or research data for which editors might only have clearance to work with the data they collect.

If you want to keep the original hosted feature layer private, you can create a hosted feature layer view, where you can configure editor tracking and change what editors can see.  The original layer will be private, while the view can be public.

Create hosted feature layer views—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Let me know if this helps!

Best,

Marisa