Select to view content in your preferred language

Help with Data Tab "Data Error"

Jump to solution
05-28-2024 05:48 PM
Labels (1)
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
Regular Contributor II

Can anyone suggest how to fix this? Or is republish the only option? Tab ever so briefly loads the records then changes to show "Data error" with no records. The feature service was initially published as part of a Survey123 survey. 

Data Error.gif

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
Forest Products Commission WA
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
Regular Contributor II

Found out the problem. The Survey contained fields with "-" in the name (typically all spaces were dealt with "_" but this was a genuine hyphen case that hadn't also been swapped for underscores. Replaced the hyphens with underscores and republished and it all worked.

It was strange how Survey123 didn't flag it as an issue though when analysing the survey prior to publishing. Something as obvious as incorrect field name formatting should be a basic check. 

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer

View solution in original post

8 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

There's a known issue for this - BUG-000158590

• Synopsis: Unable to display attribute table while accessing feature layer generated from ArcGIS Survey123 in both map viewer and map viewer classic.

Users suggest a workaround of changing editor settings so that users can 'see all features' under 'what features can editors see?'

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
Regular Contributor II

Thanks for pointing that out! That is a bit frustrating, but at least a simple fix....or at least I hoped it would be! I've updated the setting however, I still get the same error. In addition to the previouis GIF example, I can see the points in the map but can't select them (despite being an administrator). 

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_0-1717030645245.png

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

The workaround was meant to be 'editors can see all features', if you'd had the settings shown and had the error.

I'm not aware of any other workarounds.

0 Kudos
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
Regular Contributor II

Yep. Thats the setting I changed (screenshot was in the "before" state). I've logged this with Esri Support. I've gone through the survey xlsx with a fine tooth comb, fixed all warnings and errors and made sure it's the latest version with no joy. See if they can figure it out!

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor
Someone said it worked for them but clearly not well for us 😂
0 Kudos
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
Regular Contributor II

Found out the problem. The Survey contained fields with "-" in the name (typically all spaces were dealt with "_" but this was a genuine hyphen case that hadn't also been swapped for underscores. Replaced the hyphens with underscores and republished and it all worked.

It was strange how Survey123 didn't flag it as an issue though when analysing the survey prior to publishing. Something as obvious as incorrect field name formatting should be a basic check. 

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Survey123 XLSForm has data validation in the Name column that will flag this. It shouldn't make it to the Analyze stage.

If you're pasting values in it will override the formatting and data validation. Make sure you're right-clicking and selecting 'paste values only' in Excel. Keep an eye out for green triangles or red highlights.

Alarm bells always go off when I see an XLSForm with a mix of fonts and formatting in Excel. It suggests the data validation has been removed and that the survey may have underlying errors not being correctly flagged and addressed.

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
Regular Contributor II

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep it in mind and pass it on to the author of this survey as well. 

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer