Select to view content in your preferred language

Heatmap for a webmap with varying scale and extent

3 weeks ago
Sara_Fatimah
New Contributor III

Hello!

I am making a webmap that shows my point data as a heat map. On a broad scale, I want to display my heat map the way it is currently showing. See photo below. 

Sara_Fatimah_0-1716484616283.png

Unfortunately, I run into trouble when I zoom into a specific community, for example Anchorage shown below. I do not like the way the heat map is rendering at this scale, as it takes away from my main message that I want to convey to my audience. 

Sara_Fatimah_1-1716484616294.png

Therefore, I locked my radius at the fine scale and I do like the way it is now showing Anchorage. See photo below:

Sara_Fatimah_2-1716484616315.png

Unfortunately, the trouble that I now run into is the broad scale, it no longer looks like the way it did before I locked my radius. See photo below:

Sara_Fatimah_3-1716484616290.png

A few things I have tried:

- Setting my map to Dynamic instead of constant. This did not work as the heatmap shows very little activity on the broad scale

- Converting to static raster/ running kernel density on my point data. This did not work because I have such spatially varying communities in the state of Alaska, I end up with a raster that is mostly showing activity in Anchorage and does not provide details for other communities in the heat map.

- I have also messed with establishing min and max scaling. However, that too does not provide a heatmap that I want.

Something I have yet to try:

I came across this post that uses the ArcGIS Javascript API to establish heatmaps that work at all scales, as they claim. I have a basic understanding of JavaScript and would pursue this route if it gives me the result that I desire. However, before I dive deep into this rabbit hole, I would love some feedback from the GIS community to see whether they have any other suggestions or if they think JavaScript is the way to go.

Thank you very much for your time! 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

The threshold set at one level might not be the threshold you want at this range of map scale and data distribution. I think using clustering under the aggregation panel in Map Viewer might offer you a view of your data showing your features aggregated. You can also set a scale threshold which once you pass it you will see the individual features.

Sample Map https://jsapi.maps.arcgis.com/apps/mapviewer/index.html?webmap=61ee01f6b02447049f6ce8ff077e356a

RussRoberts_0-1716494960308.png

Showing clusters at street view

RussRoberts_1-1716494996943.png

Passing Scale threshold

RussRoberts_2-1716495053391.png

0 Kudos