Hayford (International) spheroid and UTM?

Jump to solution
10-08-2018 12:25 PM
BenediktSteiner
New Contributor

Dear All,

I received an old dataset from the British UK Overseas directorate which uses 'UTM projection (Zone 57N) and the Hayford (=International) spheroid.'

WGS 84 cannot be used for this data and 'International 1924' is a datum that is used with spheroid-based geographic coordinate systems.

Does anyone know which UTM option I can choose from the projected coordinate system list in ArcGIS? 

Thank you

Benedikt

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you tell us which island or country? If not, have you checked the EPSG registry? Never mind. I just checked and EPSG doesn't have any UTM 57North zones based on a GeoCRS that uses Hayford/International 1924. You might have to make a custom projected coordinate system. I would suggest selecting the WGS84 version of 57N, right-click to modifiy. Update the name, and replace the geographic coordinate system.

Melita

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Melita Kennedy‌ flagged

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you tell us which island or country? If not, have you checked the EPSG registry? Never mind. I just checked and EPSG doesn't have any UTM 57North zones based on a GeoCRS that uses Hayford/International 1924. You might have to make a custom projected coordinate system. I would suggest selecting the WGS84 version of 57N, right-click to modifiy. Update the name, and replace the geographic coordinate system.

Melita

BenediktSteiner
New Contributor

Thank you Melita, the data is from the Solomon Islands and creating a custom system works well!

0 Kudos