Having trouble creating a hosted layer.

Jump to solution
03-26-2019 07:25 AM
MichaelWoodward
New Contributor III

I have several shapefiles of our electrical system I'm trying to share on ArcGIS Online.  Two of the shapefiles are too large to add directly to the map.

"Notice:  This dataset is too large to add directly to the map. Upgrade to an ArcGIS Online subscription to publish larger data as hosted layers."

We have a subscription, and I am logged in.  I tried to follow the instructions here: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/manage-data/publish-features.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_49CE0570C3BA4...  , but I see no options to create a hosted layer.  There is no box to publish the file as a hosted layer.  

I was wondering if this is a permissions issue, but I have all the permissions for my organization enabled.  

Any thoughts?  This is my first time using ArcGIS Online, I've been using ArcGIS Desktop exclusively until now.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichaelWoodward
New Contributor III

I got this resolved with ArcGIS support yesterday afternoon.  We had a public account instead of an organizational account.  They were able to get me set up as an Administrator/Creator of our account.  I can now add larger shapefiles to hosted services, and add them to an ArcGIS Online map.

I guess the Online and Desktop licensing/users setups are different, or not connected?  When I go to My Esri, select My Organizations and Users, I am listed as an Admin.  We have 3 ArcGIS Desktop Basic Single Use Licenses listed under our License Summary.  I don't see anything about ArcGIS Online licenses there.

View solution in original post

17 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Michael, 

When you go to Content > Add Item > From my Computer and select a zipped folder containing a shapefile, you'll get the following screen that has "publish as a hosted layer" already selected, what do you see instead of this screen? Have you selected the file first (it will only appear after selecting a file)?

I hope this helps!

Allie

MichaelWoodward
New Contributor III

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

What browser are you using? I would try another browser and try clearing the browser cache. If that doesn't work, what permissions do you have? Does anyone else in your org face this issue as well?

0 Kudos
MichaelWoodward
New Contributor III

Chrome. I tried using firefox to add the shapefile to "my content" but everything looked the same.  

Here are my permissions in My Esri:

I'm the only person in my organization that is using ArcMap right now.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can you ensure that you have all the necessary components of the shapefile in the folder (shp, .shx and .dbf)?

You also mentioned having two large shapefiles, does this folder contain both? How large are the shapefiles? The max upload size is 200 GB. 

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/reference/troubleshoot.htm#anchor3

0 Kudos
MichaelWoodward
New Contributor III

Here are the contents of the zipped shapefile

The two largest are 2,065 KB and 1,577 KB.  Each shapefile is zipped individually.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

As a test, could you try removing the CAD layer?

0 Kudos
MichaelWoodward
New Contributor III

I removed the .shp file (that's the one you meant, right?) and rezipped the contents.  I'm still getting the same thing when i try to add the item.

0 Kudos
JacobLias1
Esri Contributor

Hey Michael, are you able to share your shapefile for testing purposes?  

Another thing to try is to publish your shapefile directly from ArcMap.  Simply open a blank map document, then go to File > Sign In to sign in to your ArcGIS Online account.  Then, add your shapefile to the map and follow the publishing instructions in the following documentation:

https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/map/publish-map-services/publish-to-portals.htm#ESRI_SEC...

Do know that you will need the privileges to create content in ArcGIS Online in order to publish hosted services -> https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/reference/roles.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_4FF9051EFB814C249AB26B0ACF...