Grouping layers in AGOL

03-31-2020 08:07 AM
MichaelRichards2
New Contributor

Hello. I want to create an interactive map in AGOL with multiple layers and sublayers. However, there does not seem to be a way to group layers like you can in the ArcGIS Pro application. I've been reading old posts and this has come up in the past. Are there any other options without having to invest in enterprise and/or a third party software like Geocortex Essentials? Without the ability to group layers, AGOL is limited...I would be better off exporting to a pdf with layers.  

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

This has been a long standing frustration among users, myself included, and as you said there are a multitude of Geonet blog posts and Ideas that discuss this.

Bad news is, I don't know of any immediate solution to help you with grouping layers. Good news....Map Viewer Beta is scheduled to start supporting this "Soon, Before Summer 2020"!!!

https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-14311-map-viewer-beta-roadmap 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
MichaelRichards2
New Contributor

Indeed. I have an old map I did a couple of years back...It seems I was at the very least able to have layers and sublayers in the content view...the legend view lumped them all together, of course, but the hierarchy in content view was better than nothing...   

0 Kudos
Egge-Jan_Pollé
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Michael Richards,

You may wish to vote for this Idea: Group layers for ArcGIS online.

It looks like someone has already suggested this in 2014 and the status of the idea now is: In Product Plan.

So, maybe, somewhere in the future, maybe even in the foreseeable future...

BR,

Egge-Jan

miller_ma
New Contributor II

As of now, it exists. You click layers in a map in AGOL, and then have the option to group, which then creates a group and puts the layer in it. Then you do that for each layer, then move one of the grouped layers into the other, and then move your layers around inside the nesting structure, then delete the excess group layers. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have grouped layer list widgets.  I am using WebAPP Builder.  Trying to see if see if I can get one of them to be open while the rest of the layer list widgets are closed.  Any tips?

0 Kudos