group members unable to Add same feature layer

Jump to solution
03-29-2021 08:52 AM
PhilCrossley1
New Contributor III

Hi. I have students set up as Publishers, and in a Group within my Org.  I am also a member (owner) of the Group). I wrote an exercise that includes having them add some data as feature layers (everyone has the same data that we downloaded from the same sources). 

Every student has been forced to rename the feature layers (differently from me/my instructions, and from each other).   Why?  Is there a setting I can change that will allow each group member to use the same files/file names?

TIA,

Phil Crossley

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Do you mean they're adding data to the group? The underlying server would need each service (.../server/rest/services/Hosted/feature-layer-name) to have a unique name.

Once uploaded, the services can be renamed however you like, it just needs its own unique URL at publishing time.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Do you mean they're adding data to the group? The underlying server would need each service (.../server/rest/services/Hosted/feature-layer-name) to have a unique name.

Once uploaded, the services can be renamed however you like, it just needs its own unique URL at publishing time.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
PhilCrossley1
New Contributor III
I was trying to have them each add the data to their own Content, where they are also making their own maps..

0 Kudos
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

When publishing items to the same org, the names of the layers have to be different.  Like Josh said above, you can change the name afterwards.  The students could also ad their initials to the end of their layers, keeping the bulk of the name the same, while making it different enough to satisfy ArcGIS Online requirements.