GeoServer WMS

Jump to solution
06-22-2012 03:02 AM
MichalMichalski
New Contributor II
Hi,

I published a GeoTiff using GeoServer the wms url is below
http://localhost:8080/geoserver/perth/wms?service=WMS&version=1.1.0&request=GetMap&layers=perth:2976...

I am able to add this url in QGIS and it works, I have tried to add this map to ArcGIS Online but got message

The WMS service, http://localhost:8080/geoserver/perth/wms, cannot be added to the map. It is either not available or you have entered an invalid URL for the type of layer you want to reference

I am quite new to this stuff so not sure where might be the problem, especially that this url works for Quantum GIS,

thanks for any help

Michal
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
The URL to your WMS is not publicly accessible. It must be in order to use it in ArcGIS.com. You can see it because you are running inside your firewall. I'm not very familiar with Quantun GIS, but it appears to be a program you install on your desktop. Thus, it is also running inside your firewall and can resolve the localhost.

Thanks,

Mike

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
The URL to your WMS is not publicly accessible. It must be in order to use it in ArcGIS.com. You can see it because you are running inside your firewall. I'm not very familiar with Quantun GIS, but it appears to be a program you install on your desktop. Thus, it is also running inside your firewall and can resolve the localhost.

Thanks,

Mike
MichalMichalski
New Contributor II
Thanks, it is the issue,

Michal
GayathriGanesan1
New Contributor II

Hi, I am having the same issue adding my layer from GeoServer to ArcGIS Online. Can you share how you solved this issue?

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

If your service is not externally accessible, the only way to solve this and allow ArcGIS Online to view the service is to make it externally accessible, for example, on your public facing web server.

Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos