Functionality Differences between Online and Portal

Jump to solution
12-04-2019 10:42 AM
DamonNelton
Occasional Contributor

I'm regularly asked whats the difference between Online and Portal, not from the hosting side but the what can you do in portal that you can't do in online? An example would be using an "enterprise Gedatabase with layers that have attribute rules". 

Does anyone know where to find a functionality matrix that compares the two products side by side?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DouglasCochran
Occasional Contributor II

The main difference is that ArcGIS Enterprise is a Geographic Information System (GIS) that runs on your infrastructure. 

ArcGIS Online is a platform that runs on Esri-managed cloud infrastructure in a Software as a Service (SaaS) model. 

Both have similar features and capabilities and are complimentary to each other. I dont have a matrix breakdown, however here is a quick comparison:

ArcGIS Enterprise can add on additional analytics capabilities such as Raster analytics (image server), Big data analytics (GeoAnalytics), and Real-time/IoT analysis (GeoEvent Server). ArcGIS Enterprise can also run completely disconnected from the internet.

ArcGIS Online allows you to run without having to manage your infrastructure and is scalable without your intervention. ArcGIS Online will require an internet connection in most cases.

Here are some additional references:

Understand the relationship between ArcGIS Enterprise and ArcGIS Online—Portal for ArcGIS (10.7 and ... 

http://proceedings.esri.com/library/userconf/proc18/tech-workshops/tw_1762-276.pdf 

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DouglasCochran
Occasional Contributor II

The main difference is that ArcGIS Enterprise is a Geographic Information System (GIS) that runs on your infrastructure. 

ArcGIS Online is a platform that runs on Esri-managed cloud infrastructure in a Software as a Service (SaaS) model. 

Both have similar features and capabilities and are complimentary to each other. I dont have a matrix breakdown, however here is a quick comparison:

ArcGIS Enterprise can add on additional analytics capabilities such as Raster analytics (image server), Big data analytics (GeoAnalytics), and Real-time/IoT analysis (GeoEvent Server). ArcGIS Enterprise can also run completely disconnected from the internet.

ArcGIS Online allows you to run without having to manage your infrastructure and is scalable without your intervention. ArcGIS Online will require an internet connection in most cases.

Here are some additional references:

Understand the relationship between ArcGIS Enterprise and ArcGIS Online—Portal for ArcGIS (10.7 and ... 

http://proceedings.esri.com/library/userconf/proc18/tech-workshops/tw_1762-276.pdf 

Hope that helps!

DamonNelton
Occasional Contributor

Thank You Douglas. The PDF Presentation was exactly what I was looking for. 

0 Kudos