Frustrated- Feature Services Not Taking Edits

10-25-2013 05:37 AM
CarmellaBurdi
New Contributor II
I am coming across a problem when I try to create editable feature services for use in ArcGIS Online maps.

I have attempted to upload my data a couple of different ways.

First, I uploaded a zipped shapefile of points. It successfully showed published and I was able to turn on the editing capabilities in the Item Description. I can add it to a map and view the points. I can choose edit and attempt to place a point, however when I do - nothing happens. It almost seems like the point is there as the "UNDO" button becomes active, but there is no placed point. When I check the attribute table the record was not created.

I then tried uploading a zipped shapefile of line features. Same issue. I can see myself drawing the line, but when I double click to finish the edit has not been applied.

Lastly, I tried uploading directly from ArcGIS desktop to a hosted service both my point file and line file in a geodatabase. Same editing issue.

I've checked to make sure editing capbilities are full, I've allowed sync, I've chose "Open in map will full editing capabilities." Nothing is working.

This is definitely a "new to me" issue as I've previously had success in uploading editable features. But yesterday and today this would not work.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
ThomasEdghill
Esri Community Moderator
Hi Carmella,

You may be running into a recent bug here. Could you try republishing your hosted feature service from ArcGIS Desktop, but disable "Sync" as an allowable operation in the Feature Access capabilities window and see if edits can be registered then?

Thanks,
Thomas
0 Kudos
CarmellaBurdi
New Contributor II
Hi Carmella,

You may be running into a recent bug here. Could you try republishing your hosted feature service from ArcGIS Desktop, but disable "Sync" as an allowable operation in the Feature Access capabilities window and see if edits can be registered then?

Thanks,
Thomas

"Sync" is not an option for me under Feature Access Capabilities. Did you mean "Update"? I've attached a screen shot.

Otherwise, I have the option to enable/disably sync AFTER I've published the service from the "Item Description" page.

Thank you!

Carmie
0 Kudos
ThomasEdghill
Esri Community Moderator
Carmie,

Could you try disabling Sync on the published service's "Item Description" page then? I apologize for misleading you, as the "Sync" option appears from version 10.2 onwards. The other operations in your screenshot can be left on.

Thanks,
Thomas
0 Kudos
CarmellaBurdi
New Contributor II
Carmie,

Could you try disabling Sync on the published service's "Item Description" page then? I apologize for misleading you, as the "Sync" option appears from version 10.2 onwards. The other operations in your screenshot can be left on.

Thanks,
Thomas

Don't apologize, I should have specified my version.

Either way, I think I'm back in business. AGO will now take my edits -- I created, updated, and deleted a whole bunch of things. 🙂

Thank you very much for your help!

Carmie
0 Kudos
ThomasEdghill
Esri Community Moderator
No problem, and I am happy to help!

All the best,
Thomas
0 Kudos
EricLink
New Contributor III
Hello, I am experiencing the same issue.  I am in 10.1 trying to sync local copy edits to server.  I tried disabling the sync option under "details" for the associated feature service but it won't let me.  When I sync back to the server none of my edits are showing up.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  thanks.
0 Kudos
MarkSlaten
New Contributor
Hi,

I am using Desktop 10.1 and ESRI hosted feature services. I am having trouble pushing edits from a local copy of a feature service in ArcMap back to the feature service.

My feature service layers without coded domains perform fine, it is the layers with coded domains that are an issue.  I notice that these coded domain layers will take attribute table updates, but not geometry updates to existing features, and I  cannot add new features.

Is this a bug?

Mark
0 Kudos
MarkSlaten
New Contributor
Hi,

I am using Desktop 10.1 and ESRI hosted feature services. I am having trouble pushing edits from a local copy of a feature service in ArcMap back to the feature service.

My feature service layers without coded domains perform fine, it is the layers with coded domains that are an issue.  I notice that these coded domain layers will take attribute table updates, but not geometry updates to existing features, and I  cannot add new features.

Is this a bug?

Mark

I discovered that the problem is not with coded domains but the editor tracking being enabled.  When preparing the feature class for the initial publishing, I had "enabled editor tracking" in ArcCatalog, and this created problems when trying to sync ArcMap local edits to the feature service.  I rebuilt everything and ensured that I was not tracking edits, and everything seems to work fine now.

Mark
0 Kudos
TeresaCockayne
New Contributor II
I discovered that the problem is not with coded domains but the editor tracking being enabled.  When preparing the feature class for the initial publishing, I had "enabled editor tracking" in ArcCatalog, and this created problems when trying to sync ArcMap local edits to the feature service.  I rebuilt everything and ensured that I was not tracking edits, and everything seems to work fine now.

Mark

This worked for me as well.  If you have enabled editor tracking on your feature class, disable editor tracking in ArcCatalog and republish the feature service.  If you have a date field it may help to review the syntax or not update this attribute unless necessary.
0 Kudos