File Issue After Downloading from ArcGIS Online

06-01-2016 04:14 PM
BrandonUnderwood
New Contributor II

Hello, we are having issues with ArcGIS Online. When we export and download our feature layer from ArcGIS Online we are unable to edit the geometry of a number of our polygons. This is for polygons that have had a polygon cut out within them and then attributed. We are able to attribute all polygons and can edit the geometry of polygons that have no parts cut out from the middle of them. Seems very much like a bug with ArcGIS Online. Also once the data was in ArcGIS Online we used Collector to populate our polygons with information and before we uploaded to ArcGIS Online we had no issues editing the geometry of the polygons.

We would appreciate any help with this! Thanks!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
BrandonUnderwood
New Contributor II

I have been able to come up with a solution. We ran "Repair Geometry" to fix the corruption. The "Check Geometry" indicated the error was "that incorrect ring ordering." While we resolved the issue manually it would be great if ESRI could look into resolving this issue of ArcGIS Online!

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Brandon,

I would recommend contacting technical support so they can investigate this issue further and log a bug if needed.

Can you share the item for this feature service in this post?

Thanks,

Kelly

Scott Prindle

BrandonUnderwood
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply. I even tried uploading two polygons that I created in a fresh MXD and geodatabase. The polygon you will see on the left once exported and downloaded from ArcGIS Online will cut perfectly fine, the one on the right will not cut. On our actual dataset you cannot even create topology until after running "Repair Geometry" because the geometry is corrupt.  As well ArcGIS Online has created 4,000 topology errors. I even took the originally data we had and ran topology without an errors. I uploaded and downloaded it and had about 4,000 topology errors again and I had to repair geometry due to the that incorrect ring ordering error again.

Here is just the simple polygons I made and uploaded:
http://services1.arcgis.com/pMeXRvgWClLJZr3s/arcgis/rest/services/DemoTest/FeatureServer/0

0 Kudos
ScottPrindle
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Brandon Underwood

Where did you make these donut hole edits to your data? Was this done in the ArcGIS Online Map Viewer or prior to publishing as a hosted feature service? Do you see that these geometry issues come up after editing the donut hole features in Collector, or do they happen regardless of Collector being used to update attribution?

Any clarification about when in your workflow this issue presents itself can help us isolate the cause; whether it's publishing this type of dataset as a hosted feature service to ArcGIS Online, making this type of edit to an existing feature in the Map Viewer, making edits to these features in Collector after they've been edited in the Map Viewer, or something else that you may be doing along the way.

-Scott

0 Kudos
BrandonUnderwood
New Contributor II

All of the donut hole creation and digitizing was completed in ArcMap 10.3.1. We then uploaded everything to ArcGIS Online (through ArcMap asa Service) then changed the attributes of our polygons through field work. We then exported our data through Export to a FGDB and downloaded it. The issue appears once we export and download it from ArcGIS Online and we again try to cut in ArcMap 10.3.1. Also if you run "Check Geometry" there are a number of errors that appear that were not there before uploading to ArcGIS Online. After "Repair Geometry" we are able to run Topology and a number of errors appear that were not present before uploading to ArcGIS Online. I've noticed this for multiple data sets. I have repeated our workflow using a much smaller data set (2 polygons, one with a hole and one without) that I created in a completely fresh File Geodatabase. It is unfortunate as it did appear to work quite well until we exported our data,  we also don't feel we can recommend our client use ArcGIS Online until these types of bugs are worked out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Brandon

0 Kudos
ScottPrindle
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Brandon Underwood​,

In your small test with 2 polygons, did you still modify attribution with Collector before presenting the issue? I'm trying to determine if we should focus on the upload of this type of polygon to ArcGIS Online specifically, or Collector's editing of this type of polygon.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
BrandonUnderwood
New Contributor II

In my test with the two polygons I did not modify with Collector at all. I just uploaded it and then exported to FGDB and then downloaded so I would say focus more on the upload of this type of geometry! The two errors I get when downloaded and checked with "Check Geometry" are "Incorrect ring ordering" and "Self-Intersections," I also noticed there were negative Shape values. Once I run "Repair Geometry" everything gets fixed except there are still topology errors!

Thanks,

Brandon

0 Kudos
ScottPrindle
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Brandon Underwood​,

It sounds like something is amiss when the file geodatabase gets uploaded to ArcGIS Online and subsequently downloaded. Kelly Gerrow​, do you have any ideas on what we can examine about the uploaded data, its resulting hosted feature service, or the process to download it as a file geodatabase?

-Scott

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Brandon,

That is unfortunate. Is the geometry getting messed up with a certain way that you are cutting the polygons? Or does it happen with any and every cut you make? How are you cutting polygons? Are you cutting out donut holes or just slicing across the middle or so?

0 Kudos