Select to view content in your preferred language

Features shift when published as a service on ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
11-10-2014 08:00 AM
RachelWilliams
Deactivated User

I have feature classes that I am publishing as a service, but once I bring them into a map on ArcGIS Online the data appears to have shifted from its original location. These files started as CAD files, were transformed into feature classes within a geodatabase, and spatial adjustment was used to correct for errors in the original placement of the features. In ArcMap, these features display perfectly, it is only once they are published that they appear offset. They are off by about 250 feet.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Joshua-Young
Frequent Contributor

Unfortunately I cannot share that particular map, but I found a way to resolve the problem. The fix was to republish the utility services with a data transformation specified. I would have thought that both the drawing location and the selection location would be identical with both shifted on the basemap do to a lack of a data transformation being specified when the data was published as a service. Why would it be drawn in one location and selectable in a different location when it is the same data from the same service? Is this a bug in the map services?

The utility data is stored in Texas State Plane 1983 South Central US Feet in the geodatabase but the service is published in Web Mercator. The basemaps are the Esri default basemaps that are in Web Mercator as well. I know using the data transformation improves the accuracy of the utility data overlay, but it also slows down the rendering of the utility data.

"Not all those who wander are lost" ~ Tolkien
0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Alum

Hey Josh,

Is your data hosted in ArcGIS Online? If so, check out this blog about specifying transformations:

Taking control of transformations with hosted feature layers (September 2017) | ArcGIS Blog 

Let me know if it helps.

-Kelly

0 Kudos