Feature Service labels

03-03-2023 10:23 AM
MichaelKohler
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

I have a map service on our ArcGIS Server that is used by another non gis application QAlert. The map service published from ArcMap has labels. When we switched the data to a FeatureService in ArcGIS Online, the labels no longer show in QAlert. I understand the difference between the FeatureService in AGOL and the MapService on my ArcGIS Server. I'm just hoping that there might be a workaround for this that I've yet to stumble across.

Thanks for any comments.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MobiusSnake
MVP

Does QAlert allow you to define symbology and labeling?  (I'm not familiar with it.)  If not, you'll need to enable labels as part of your service's default symbology:

• Go to the Item in AGOL's web interface
  • Open the Visualization tab
  • Using the toolbar on the side, open Labels and create one or more label classes
  • Save your changes using the button in the upper left

A potential downside here is that this will be your default symbology for every client that uses this service.  if you don't want to make these labels universal, first create a hosted feature layer view from your base data, apply the labels to that view, then use that view from QAlert.

Edit - Should mention I'm assuming QAlert uses your default symbology and that it doesn't override it with its own, clients can do that with feature services.  If it overrides it, not sure what your options are.

0 Kudos
MichaelKohler

+1 for the Fry pic.

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll try them out.

0 Kudos
MichaelKohler

When I looked the labels were already there in the visualization arena as the default. All new maps show the labeled data. I will keep looking for a solution from the vendor.

QAlert uses the symbology from the layer. It works fine from a MapService, just not the Hosted Feature Service.

Thanks

0 Kudos