Select to view content in your preferred language

Feature Layer (hosted) - View-only/Edit Small Group Question

02-06-2017 08:01 AM
MaryEllen_Perko
Occasional Contributor II

Hi.  We have a group of users who have very little technical knowledge but have been tasked with maintaining a point feature class.  My team has been tasked with developing a solution in ArcGIS Online that allows them to edit a feature layer, but allows "everyone" to view the live data.  While keeping the solution as simple as possible for the editors.

The feature in ArcGIS Online where you can configure a group that allows group members to edit a feature layer and allows view-only sharing outside the group of the same feature layer seems like the perfect solution.  However, from what we can tell, you cannot permanently add the feature layer/data to a web map and keep it editable. Nor can you add the feature layer on-the-fly to a web map you've already opened.  

As a result, the solution seems to require that editors open the feature layer for editing and then add all of the services they need to the map each time they edit.  If true, this would be very cumbersome.

So, my question is:  Is this the only way it works?  Is there a way to allow editors to use saved maps?

The alternative where there is an editable feature layer for editing and a copy for public viewing is even more complicated.

Any ideas are appreciated.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello Mary Ellen Perko,

In the December release we put out some really neat new functionality called Hosted Feature Layer Views. They do exactly this, you can keep the hosted feature layer editable and only shared to a small group. Then you can create a view of the layer which you can disable editing and share with the public. Edits made on the hosted feature layer by your smaller editing team will be displayed dynamically.

Create hosted feature layer views—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Getting started with hosted feature layer views | ArcGIS Blog  

0 Kudos
MaryEllen_Perko
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you!  I noticed that capability but didn't give it another thought.  I guess I need to do a better job of keeping up with the ArcGIS Online updates.

I have a follow-up question.  Another component of our solution is an external application that accesses the hosted feature layer through the rest api.  Is that capability available through the view?

Thanks.

0 Kudos