Select to view content in your preferred language

Failed to publish web layer

10-29-2017 03:50 PM
TomLek1
New Contributor

Hi. While attempting to share a web layer from ArcGIS Pro to ArcGIS Online, I keep encountering the following message 'Failed to publish web layer', despite having completed the following steps

1. Added data to map (.csv file that includes latitude and longitude fields)

2. Selected Display XY Data (spatial reference : GCS_WGS_1984)

3. Created feature layer

4. Right clicked on feature layer to 'Share as Web Layer' (Layer Type : Feature)

5. Clicked Analyze (No errors or warnings found)

6. Clicked Publish (error message: 'Failed to publish web layer')

Wonder if anyone has encountered this situation.  Look forward to your advice.

Tags (1)
20 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Ryan, overwriting can be a little tricky at times. Can you give more details about the overwrite? I find that in order to make the overwrite successful, the only changes I can make to the feature layer are just attribute record changes or geometry changes. If I add/delete a column of data or mess with the symbology or other more 'invasive' things, it will not overwrite.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Weird, so I had the same issue happen today. I updated a feature layer in ArcGIS Pro, I went to update the web layer and it gave me the failed to publish message. 

After investigating some, it appear to have completely delete my existing feature layer but it did create a service definition. Either way, I just made a new web layer and all is good now (except for a few minor adjustments and changes I have to make to my web layer).

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hey Adrian and Ryan,

Are you still experiencing issues?

If so, I'd like to get you in touch with technical support so they can identify what is happening. Is this occurring specifically when overwriting or also when publishing?

https://community.esri.com/community/gis/applications/arcgis-pro?sr=search&searchId=594a3938-1748-48...

https://community.esri.com/groups/technical-support?sr=search&searchId=78ed906d-3440-4896-8086-fb6da...

-Kelly

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Kelly, I have not had the issue since but if I do see it again, I'll touch base with tech support.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I apologize that it's taken me so long to reply here. I am still trying to recreate the circumstances under which I was having the overwrite issues. I will report back if/when I can recreate the issue.

Additionally, thank you to MidnightYell2003‌ and KGerrow-esristaff‌ for looking into this.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's been a while, but I have just recreated this circumstance again. In troubleshooting, I rediscovered this thread. I've attached the Sharing Job Log and Sharing Main Log (SharingJob id="16") files. I am experiencing the same behavior as Adrian Welsh‌ described earlier. I tried to update a hosted feature layer from ArcGIS Pro. It succeeded in creating a new service definition file but failed to publish the web layer. It also deleted the previous layer. The error message associated with this failure offered little in terms of why, stating only "Failed to publish web layer." Any idea why I'm still unable to successfully overwrite services?

0 Kudos
GregoryWhitaker
New Contributor II

I'm now experiencing a similar problem but mine isn't an overwrite. Trying to share as web map fails without any information other than 'Failed to publish web layer...'. I also get a residual service definition file. Using Pro 2.0 with Enterprise 10.6. All layers in my map are being pulled from the same source gdb and all are in web mercator projection. Solutions?

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Maybe this would be a good time to get in touch with Esri Technical Support?

0 Kudos
davedoesgis
Occasional Contributor III

I am having the exact same issue, and seeing this sooner would have saved me several hours today. I don't mind the limitation in functionality that much, but the lack of specific feedback from the publishing tool torpedoed my whole afternoon...

Exporting the X/Y layer to a file geodatabase feature class, adding that to my map, and copying the symbology and labeling over worked like a charm.

Esri, if you are listening, please at least tell us specifically what the problem is, and ideally how to fix it. The message "Failed to publish web layer" is not helpful.

0 Kudos
AdamEversole1
Esri Contributor

Did anyone in the thread experiencing this problem ever alter the name of the service definition Item?

0 Kudos