Fail to save app, Web AppBuilder for AGOL.

Jump to solution
07-13-2015 05:07 PM
NathanielRoth2
New Contributor II

A problem with similar symptoms, but apparently different cause was just answered over in the Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS forum. But, my question is specific to the AGOL variant of the Web AppBuilder.

When I add multiple images (a few 20x20 pixel png mini-icons) to the text body of an "About" or "Splash" widget I start to get "Failed to Save App" errors.

• A single icon doesn't cause the problem, only multiple icons.
  • I can remove the icons, and am able to save again.
  • With the icons in the text body, I can successfully use "Save As", but that becomes inconvenient when you're just making small little tweaks to wording in response colleague's suggestions.

Any ideas? I do not know if this predates the recent update as I hadn't used the icons before the update.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I just did a simple test adding your png files to the About widget and it also produced an error. There is definitely something going on with the PNG file. I passed them through Paint.Net and saved them with a different name as PNG (no additional changes) and the files could be added without any problems to the About widget (and the app saves without problems).

I have attached them so you can try. Although Paint.Net is not as powerful as Photoshop, there is a lot you can do with it...

View solution in original post

4 Replies
XanderBakker

I just did a test adding some icons (png files) with a size of 20x20 to the about widget and was able to save the App:

Could you share the icons to see if there is something strange about these? How do you add the icons to the body? Are you using this button?

0 Kudos
NathanielRoth2
New Contributor II

Summary:

I'm pretty sure that there's something wrong with the pngs I'm using that are causing the problem. And that's probably related to how I modified them in Photoshop. Suggestions on export settings when creating PNGs in Photoshop with transparency are welcome.

I've attached the pngs that I modified from ESRI's originals (by reducing size, or by deleting the contents and creating my own).

I'm not sure why "Save" fails, but "Save As" will then work correctly.

Details:

Here are the icons I'm using. Note that they're pngs with white content and a transparent background so they're a bit difficult to see in this viewer, so I'm attaching them to this message instead of placing them in content.

Yes, that's the button I'm using to add them.

Steps that reproduce the error for me:

1. From "My Content" select create new App>App Builder
  2. Name it and give it a tag
  3. Leave as "Foldable" theme and the default "Grey" style, and layout.
  4. Pick any web map
  5. Turn on the Splash widget
  6. Clear the default content from the body.
  7. Add "Image 1: {image}, Image 2: {Image}, Image 3:{image}, Image 4:{image}" (inserting images with the "S" in the file name into the obvious locations). Any number of images >= 2 of the images I modified will cause a failure. All of the attached images are ones I modified.
  8. Click "OK", and exit the splash screen when it appears, and click "Save" for the App.
  9. I then get the "Failed to save app" after a wait of ~30 seconds.
  10. If I edit the splash screen, and remove the images, it'll save without issue.

Exploring further, it looks like it will only accept having one of the pngs that I modified (all of the "S" versions, and the LinkIcon.png) before it fails to save. I can add combinations of the unmodified ones with one modified and it'll still save.

I can make changes and add multiple modified images, have it fail to save, but the Save As option will work fine.

This makes me think that there's something in my export process is at fault. Are there recommended export settings from Photoshop for creating PNGs? I used the defaults.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

I just did a simple test adding your png files to the About widget and it also produced an error. There is definitely something going on with the PNG file. I passed them through Paint.Net and saved them with a different name as PNG (no additional changes) and the files could be added without any problems to the About widget (and the app saves without problems).

I have attached them so you can try. Although Paint.Net is not as powerful as Photoshop, there is a lot you can do with it...

NathanielRoth2
New Contributor II

Thank you. I prefer GIMP for most of my image work, but the office wouldn't allow it and gave me photoshop instead.

Edit: Pulled out my memory stick with a PortableApps version of GIMP. Opened and saved all of my icons with default settings and they work without issue, thanks.

0 Kudos