exporting layer views

Jump to solution
02-28-2018 10:46 AM
Mary_GermanWhitley
New Contributor III

I have created a View Layer from a Hosted Feature Layer which contains only the fields/filtered data I am interested in via the Visualizations tab. The data tab correctly shows the filtered subset of fields. I would then like to be able to export only those fields/rows in the View Layer as a csv. When I do an export on the View Layer, it exports the entire dataset from the Hosted Feature Layer.  If I wanted that I would just export from the original. Am I missing something or is this a bug? (Create hosted feature layer views). Thx.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Mary,

This behavior is planned to be changed in the upcoming release later this month. When an admin or owner exports, the view definition will be honored so the behavior will be the same whether you are owner / admin or not.

Thanks,

Chris

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Mary_GermanWhitley
New Contributor III

Well, I unfortunately found the answer. As an administrator of the data, I am unable to export a View Layer as designed. If the Owner or Administrator exports data from a View Layer, it downloads the entire original dataset. That makes exporting View Layers as administrators somewhat useless in my mind. You should at least have the option to export the whole dataset or only the View you want.  Manage hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Mary,

Even if you are an administrator, you should only be able to export the data that is available through the view. Verify that you used the set view definition option and not the filter. If everything looks correct, get in touch with tech support for further troubleshooting.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
Mary_GermanWhitley
New Contributor III

Unfortunately not true. "When users other than the owner or administrator export from a hosted feature layer view that has field or feature definitions applied, the exported file only contains those fields or features that the definition allows. When the owner or administrator exports, the definitions are not applied and the exported file contains all fields and features." I worked with an Esri rep on it, and it is not possible (at least last I checked).

0 Kudos
ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Mary,

This behavior is planned to be changed in the upcoming release later this month. When an admin or owner exports, the view definition will be honored so the behavior will be the same whether you are owner / admin or not.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
Mary_GermanWhitley
New Contributor III

That's great news for me. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Mary_GermanWhitley
New Contributor III

So it does look like it now honors the filter as far as records go (all records marked 'Approved' in the last 2 weeks in my case), but it still exports all fields even though I only want a few of the fields that I have checked on instead of the entire dataset. Is this still in the works or is there something I'm missing.  It's a step forward, so I'm still happy about that.

0 Kudos
Mary_GermanWhitley
New Contributor III

Chris Whitmore‌ Can you investigate my response on July 5 and let me know.

0 Kudos
ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Mary - sorry, I missed your July response. I double-checked the behavior - it seems to be working as expected after the June release (both feature and field definitions are honored when exported by owner / admin) so there might be something specific going on with your layer. I'm happy to take a look but would need access to the layer as owner (feel free to email me at cwhitmore@esri.com, if this is ok). Otherwise, it's probably best to contact support again and work with them to troubleshoot via screenshare, etc.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
Mary_GermanWhitley
New Contributor III

I have emailed Adam Pfister at Esri because he is familiar with this

particular dataset, so if he can't help, I'll reach out again. I have had

the same issue happen on 2 different AGO platforms with 2 completely

different Survey 123 forms, so not sure what's up. Maybe I'm missing a

checkbox somewhere.

0 Kudos