Expanded Symbol Library in AGOL Web Maps

Jump to solution
05-17-2022 11:12 AM
BrandonWotachek
New Contributor III

I am wondering how I can get more symbol options in my web maps within ArcGIS Online.  The current selection is lacking and when I search online for a solution there does not seem to be an easy answer.  Looks like lots of customization or having to have the layers symbolized the way you want them in ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro.  Is there any way you can simply add styles from ArcMap/ArcGIS Pro to your web map choice of styles?  I hope there is an easy solution that I am missing.  If it is a convoluted work around, I am not interested.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

In the blog link posted above and here: 

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/mapping/use-published-2d-symbols-in-arcgis-o...

Just share all the web styles to your org (you can also share to everyone optionall) and to a group you want to use for the web styles. Then have the admin set that group as the 2D Webstyle group mentioned in the blog. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AnareMOTOKULA
New Contributor II

Hi Brandon,

I have also wondered this previously however I have not seen any options for this. But I have seen a way in which you can add any symbol by converting the symbol into a SVG and grabbing the SVG url (in map elements) and then uploading into the the "use an image" space available in the symbol options.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

You can publish those styles to your organization using ArcGIS Pro.

Checkout this blog: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/mapping/use-published-2d-symbols-in-arcgis-o...

With ArcGIS Pro 3.0 Release and the upcoming Online release we will be expanding support to lines and polygons. 

BrandonWotachek
New Contributor III

I was able to get the web style into AGOL, but cannot see them when I try to change symbology within a web map. What steps am I missing.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Does your org have a defined group for the web styles like the basemap gallery? If it does and doesnt show up can you share the style file? 

0 Kudos
BrandonWotachek
New Contributor III

No clue what defined group for web styles means?  So guessing we do not.  Are there any steps online as to how to get the Web Style to appear in the web map?  

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

In the blog link posted above and here: 

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/mapping/use-published-2d-symbols-in-arcgis-o...

Just share all the web styles to your org (you can also share to everyone optionall) and to a group you want to use for the web styles. Then have the admin set that group as the 2D Webstyle group mentioned in the blog. 

0 Kudos
BrandonWotachek
New Contributor III

Thanks.  I was missing the step of adding style within map tab within organization tab to the group.  I can now see in my web map apps.

0 Kudos
BrandonWotachek
New Contributor III

Next Issue - With these web style symbols I have a halo on them in ArcGIS Pro.  That does not come through in AGOL/web map, nor can I add an outline (halo) to this symbol in AGOL/web map?

What am I missing here?

BrandonWotachek_0-1654715420008.png

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Going to need to see the style to check that out. The main thing coming in the next release in a few weeks is exposing the symbol layers accurately vs. the current released styler has a very basic symbol layer control.

RussellRoberts1_0-1654719351245.png