Error: Unable to import this shapefile (ArcGIS Online)

03-08-2019 02:43 PM
BeatrizZavariz
New Contributor

I am trying to upload three shapefiles to a new map in ArcGIS Online. I am saving the layers in my map as shapefiles and then zipping them together to upload as a file to the map. ArcGIS Online only says: Error, Unable to import this shapefile.

I try uploading other shapefiles (created by other people) and those upload fine. I tried uploading them as a layer package and as shapefiles to my contents in ArcGIS online and then using the link to create the map. That doesn't work either. Can you please help me figure this out? 

I attached my shapefiles here

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

tips and hints

Shapefiles—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

drag doesn't work, you must use Add in the Map Viewer

BeatrizZavariz
New Contributor

Actually , the link you sent is very useful I will try to go over all the tips and things to consider. THank you!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

hope it works out

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

What browser are you using? If you are using chrome, you may be running into this issue:

https://community.esri.com/people/ARex-esristaff/blog/2019/03/12/why-cant-i-use-the-add-item-dialog-...

If you are, try another browser or use incognito mode.

Let us know if that fixes the issue or if you are still running into problems uploading the item.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
RobertChattel
New Contributor

I am having the same issue. I am trying to open a Shapefile (.zip) that a client created, but I am repeatedly getting an error message that ArcGIS Online cannot open the Shapefile. It is not a large file and just includes a few polygons. Did you figure out how to open your Shapefiles?

MichaelTomiak
New Contributor III

I had a similar issue. After reviewing the linked guide above (Shapefiles - ArcgIS Online Help).
I found that I didn't have the projection file (.prj) in the shapefile (not sure why it wasn't created when I created the shapefile).

Resolution:
I used the 'define projection' geoprocessing tool and then it would upload fine. 
This was just my resolution - of course if you are missing any of the required files within the zipped .shp it will likely show the same error. 

The files to double check you have in the zipped .shp (extracted from the guide above) are

"When you create a .zip file that contains the .shp.shx.dbf, and .prj files that comprise the shapefile, store your shapefile directly in the root (the central directory) of the .zip archive, not in directories within the archive. If your .zip file viewer shows path information, the path should be blank."

0 Kudos
KylePalmquist
New Contributor

I am having this problem as well. I am using Firefox and am trying to upload a .zip file. 

BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor

The WV_Boundary shapefile is complete - and includes a .prj

I tried using Firefox and while there were no complaints, the above shapefile had no features. I tried using Chrome, and got an error message. I looked at the shapefile in ArcGIS Pro, and everything seemed to draw correctly with all attributes, etc. 

I exported your shapefile again from Pro, and everything worked fine importing/publishing as a feature layer in ArcGIS Online using Chrome and Firefox.

There seem to be overlapping polygons, which I did not expect. Also some very thin slivers which seem unusual. So I'd consider the heritage of the shapefile and see if there are any issues there.

0 Kudos
RichardKoech
New Contributor II

I also have a number of shapefiles that I have used in ArcGIS Online for a long time. All of a sudden, ArcGIS Online says "Error   Unable to import the shapefile".

Are there any recent developments that have been done with ArcGIS Online that may be causing this problem?

0 Kudos