Select to view content in your preferred language

Enable Sync (disconnected editing with synchronization)

12-13-2012 02:52 PM
ErnestoCarreras3
Regular Contributor
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone have tried the Enable Sync (disconnected editing with synchronization) for Feature Services in AGOL for Organizations. I have searched for documentation but have not seen any. Any help will be appreciated.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Ahhhh, you are very observant.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcgisonline/index.html#//010q000000n0000000

"If your editors will occasionally be disconnected from the network, check Enable Sync. This allows your editors to get the latest updates to features at the time they connect. Any edits they made to features while disconnected will also be applied at the time they connect. Sync is currently only supported in ArcGIS for Windows Mobile."

This is an ongoing development effort and over time more and more client apps will support it.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
JasonHarshman
Frequent Contributor
so you can't sync edits made from ArcGIS for Desktop?
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Not through this new option, at least not yet.

Desktop currently has it's own workflow for creating a local copy for editing. This, however, is a last edit in wins process, not synchronization.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
ErnestoCarreras3
Regular Contributor
Ahhhh, you are very observant.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcgisonline/index.html#//010q000000n0000000

"If your editors will occasionally be disconnected from the network, check Enable Sync. This allows your editors to get the latest updates to features at the time they connect. Any edits they made to features while disconnected will also be applied at the time they connect. Sync is currently only supported in ArcGIS for Windows Mobile."

This is an ongoing development effort and over time more and more client apps will support it.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks Mike for you information. Let me tell you, this a great addition to the Web browser platform! I hope this gets extended to Esri's iOS and Androids free apps!!
EC
0 Kudos
JaromHlebasko
Frequent Contributor
Not through this new option, at least not yet.

Desktop currently has it's own workflow for creating a local copy for editing. This, however, is a last edit in wins process, not synchronization.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

I was wondering what the actual workflow is for ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1 when wanting to synchronize changes from published feature services?

Thank you!
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Jarom,

In desktop, you create a local copy for editing, then check it back in. See attached image.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
JaromHlebasko
Frequent Contributor
Mike,

I get no such option to create a local copy. Perhaps I am not adding the data correctly. Right now, I am dragging in my web map listed under My Hosted Services in ArcCatalog. Please look at the attachment. These are the only options that I get. Do I need ArcGIS for Server to have this functionality?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
JaromHlebasko
Frequent Contributor
Mike,

I get no such option to create a local copy. Perhaps I am not adding the data correctly. Right now, I am dragging in my web map listed under My Hosted Services in ArcCatalog. Please look at the attachment. These are the only options that I get. Do I need ArcGIS for Server to have this functionality?

Thanks!

UPDATE: Nevermind, I figured out what I was doing wrong. I actually have to right-click on the group name and not the individual layers. I now see the option to edit locally which I am extremely excited about. Thank you for your help!
0 Kudos
BKS
by
Frequent Contributor
Jarom,

In desktop, you create a local copy for editing, then check it back in. See attached image.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike - I agree this is great but I'm confused about the editing workflow for ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 for feature services hosted by AGOL.  You mention in this thread that it's last edit wins.  Do you mean then that ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 does NOT honour the editing constraints configured on the feature service like the ArcGIS.com map viewer does?

If not, is there any plan to add this?  I see this as a big security problem that potentially negates us using AGOL to host the service.  Do you have any suggestions?  Is the only alternative to host this ourselves and build our own constraints into ArcGIS Server?

Thanks for any info.

Brian

ps - I posted the following before seeing this thread. 

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/76704-Disconnected-Editing-of-AGOL-feature-service-in-ArcMap-constr...
0 Kudos