Edits in feature service will not save

Jump to solution
12-05-2013 11:42 AM
KendellRyan
Occasional Contributor
I have published a Feature service to an internal ArcGIS Server (from Desktop using feature classes in SDE).  It is versioned data and I set permissions for the role.  I created a web map and it appears to let me edit as normal, but the edits are just temporary.
Interestingly this exact scenario (and data) worked fine a month ago, so I don't know if something changed on ESRI's end or if our server manager changed something.  But while I investigate the latter please tell me if there's anything else I should check.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KendellRyan
Occasional Contributor
I finally got to the bottom of why we were getting the error.  It turns out that the technician doing the digitizing was using true curves.  When publishing the feature service from ArcMap, the default setting was checked to "Allow geometry updates" but the option to "Allow update of true curves" was not checked.  Even though we were only editing attributes ArcGIS Online was still rejecting all edits.  Once I turned both options on or both off we were able to update attributes without issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Kendall,

I would contact Esri Support Services so an Analyst can get a detailed look at this. If you use the browser developer tools you should be able to see the edit call made and view the response. It could be that the edit errors on the server due to an invalid value (Eg. Null Dates with server pre 10.2), or another server side parameter that needs adjusted.

Cheers,
Andrew
0 Kudos
KendellRyan
Occasional Contributor
I did contact ESRI support but they have not been very helpful...thus far. 
However, in case anyone else is having this same problem...internally we figured out that we may need to use a proxy page. I was able to save edits for very short, simple lines only.  We are still trying to get it set up correctly to test it.  I'm also not sure if we can still have an AGOL hosted application and use a proxy page, or if that requires us to host the application/template on our server.
0 Kudos
KendellRyan
Occasional Contributor
I am still troubleshooting this and waiting for some possible solutions from the analyst (and this is time sensitive).
Using developer tools the error is the "unable to perform applyedits operation."
It must be something specific to Java because the updates work fine on a Silverlight app.  But with or without a proxy page the Java script API map and ArcGIS Online Web map do not save edits to existing features.
Edits work fine for newly created features and for very small line features. But I cannot edit and save any attribute edits to longer lines.  Any ideas would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
DavidMann1
New Contributor III
Hey Kendall,

I was just receiving the same error as this and came here for answers.. Of course there are no answers in the forums but I did end up trying a few things before contacting ESRI support and ended up stumbling across a fix for my problem.  Hopefully it works for you as well.

I'll briefly describe my problem in case it is a different issue but helps others.. I have a few REST services that I am using in both a custom Flex viewer for desktop viewing and editing, as well as using them through an ArcGIS Online map for mobile editing with the ArcGIS App.  The problem arose recently that using the ArcGIS mobile application on the iPads was throwing the error 'An error occurred while posting feature edits: Unable to complete operation.'  The users were still able to apply edits using the Flex site (which accesses the REST services directly) so I figured the problem was not with the REST services but with the ArcGIS Online map.  Turns out the issue DID lie in the REST services even though we could still edit successfully through the Flex site and not ArcGIS Online. 

It happened that the database we were editing was recently swapped out and the new data was z-aware and according to this page (http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisserver/10.0/help/arcgis_server_dotnet_help/index.html#/Authoring_fea...) 'If a layer has z-values, by default the features cannot be edited through a feature service'

All I had to do was define a default z value for the feature service and the issue was resolved.  Instructions for doing this are found here (http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisserver/10.0/help/arcgis_server_dotnet_help/index.html#/Editing_featu...)
BridgettPygott
New Contributor

Thanks for this! Fixed my problem!

0 Kudos
KendellRyan
Occasional Contributor
I finally got to the bottom of why we were getting the error.  It turns out that the technician doing the digitizing was using true curves.  When publishing the feature service from ArcMap, the default setting was checked to "Allow geometry updates" but the option to "Allow update of true curves" was not checked.  Even though we were only editing attributes ArcGIS Online was still rejecting all edits.  Once I turned both options on or both off we were able to update attributes without issue.
0 Kudos
DianaHutt
New Contributor II

This solved it for me. I had a few feature classes that I ran the densify tool on it and then did not get that error.

0 Kudos