Editor-Data Editor vs Creator-Data Editor

Jump to solution
12-23-2020 08:37 AM
MarinaGeo
New Contributor II

Hello there

Can someone help me to understand if there is any difference between an Editor-Data Editor and a Creator-Data Editor?

Many thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The user type defines the selection of roles a person can be assigned at any one time. The role defines what privileges a person can have. For example, the user type Creator is able to have more privileges than the user type Editor because it has more options as to what role it can be assigned (Creators can be assigned as a viewer, data editor, user, publisher, or admin whereas Editors can only be a viewer or data editor).

A Creator-Data Editor and Editor-Data Editor have the same exact privileges except the Creator has more flexibility in what role it can be assigned in the future which will then grant it a wider set of privileges (for instance, the Creator-Data Editor could become a Creator-User).

A Creator-Data Editor and a Creator-User have an equal amount of flexibility in what roles they can be re-assigned in the future. The difference is that in the given moment of comparison, a Creator-User will have more privileges than a Creator-Data Editor because the User role grants more privileges than the Data Editor role. The privileges that a Creator-User has over a Creator-Data Editor include using subscriber content, joining shared update groups, using spatial analysis, sharing content, creating content, and creating groups. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Creators have all of the same capabilities as Editors plus the ability to analyze, create, and share content/data. In addition, they are also able to administer the organization. 

More information on User Types can be found at the following link: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/reference/roles.htm 

I hope this helps!

0 Kudos
MarinaGeo
New Contributor II

Thanks Cartochien. I knew about the link you shared, but I find the two categories that define capabilities/privileges of an AGOL user rather confusing (what does confer the  privileges, the role or the user type?). After your answer, now my question is what is the difference between Creator-Data Editor and Creator-User?

Thanks again for your support!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The user type defines the selection of roles a person can be assigned at any one time. The role defines what privileges a person can have. For example, the user type Creator is able to have more privileges than the user type Editor because it has more options as to what role it can be assigned (Creators can be assigned as a viewer, data editor, user, publisher, or admin whereas Editors can only be a viewer or data editor).

A Creator-Data Editor and Editor-Data Editor have the same exact privileges except the Creator has more flexibility in what role it can be assigned in the future which will then grant it a wider set of privileges (for instance, the Creator-Data Editor could become a Creator-User).

A Creator-Data Editor and a Creator-User have an equal amount of flexibility in what roles they can be re-assigned in the future. The difference is that in the given moment of comparison, a Creator-User will have more privileges than a Creator-Data Editor because the User role grants more privileges than the Data Editor role. The privileges that a Creator-User has over a Creator-Data Editor include using subscriber content, joining shared update groups, using spatial analysis, sharing content, creating content, and creating groups. 

0 Kudos