Editing Permissions by Groups

03-26-2014 10:33 AM
RobertMaiden
New Contributor III
I am used to being able to set permissions according to groups such as read/write, or read only.  I can't seem to find any permissions set up that way.  Here is my problem.  I have a map with several point data layers which have associated data for each point.  I want everyone to be able to see the data (or representative symbols) of the data on the map, but I only want members of the editor group to be able to change the data.  So far, I can either have only the editor group to read write or I can allow everyone...definately unhandy.  Does anyone have a method of creating realistic edit permissions based on group membership?
Tags (2)
6 Replies
Occasional Contributor III
Are you dealing exclusively with ArcGIS Online Hosted Services?  I have struggled with the same issue: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/102353-View-vs.-Edit-Permissions

Ultimately, the conclusion was to hope that the new Custom Roles would address this, but if they do, I am not yet aware of it: http://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/reference/roles.htm
JoeFlannery
Robert:

Is setting permissions per user rather than at the group an option?  The new custom roles is great.
http://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/administer/configure-roles.htm

Templates as a starting point
Viewer �?? Content consumers who interact with maps and view content shared to them in groups
Editor �?? Information workers who primarily edit data, interact with maps, and view content shared to them in groups
User �?? Esri-defined User role who can create items and groups, and share them inside and outside the organization (depending on the security settings of the organization)
Analyst �?? Map-centric staff who create maps, share across the organization or with groups, and publish and edit features
Author �?? Data curators who, in addition to the privileges of the analyst, create groups and publish hosted tiles
Publisher �?? Esri-defined Publisher role who, in additional to the author, can share content with the public and make groups visible inside and outside the organization (depending on the security settings of the organization)
jameshickey
Occasional Contributor

I believe this is still an issue.

I have a map that i need a field worker to be able to edit certain attributes on  but not delete or add anything on accident. I also have another map with different popup options that references the same data but I need an office worker to be able to add and delete features.

This is not possible, even with the roles that exist now.

The users have all or none editing capabilities.

RobertMaiden
New Contributor III

I have the same problem with field status updates on health care facilities.  I want the world to see the locations but only the field team to be able to update.  Given the state of ArcGIS Online's weak security system, I have created two maps:  one for the public and the other for the editors. The editor map gives the ability to edit the status and comment fields.  The public map is view only.

BertKraan1

You all should vote at ideas.esri.com at the topic "AGO - Group Permissions - Override User Permissions" where A.C. proposes a fix for this.

Bert

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

It is possible to set editing permissions by group for members in the same organization when you create a group with the capability to allow members to update all items in the group​. This must be enabled when the group is initially created. You can then share the hosted feature service with the group.

When members of the group open the feature service item, they will have the ability to open the service with full editing capabilities. This will allow members of the group to edit the data, but have editing disabled on the feature service for viewing.

Cheers,

Kelly

0 Kudos