editing a shape file online

01-03-2020 01:22 PM
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

I have a shape file that I have been editing (adding to) on my local machine.  I have uploaded the shape file to an esri online map.  I'd like to be able to re-upload my new shape file so it updates the content that I already have online. Can you tell me how to do this? Thanks

0 Kudos
27 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

No.  The geodatabase is independent of ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro so the steps should work regardless.

0 Kudos
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

Robert....I have done your steps above, and since tried to save a web map.  I am getting an error stating "your account doesn't have publishing privleges. Am i supposed to have the publishing extension?  Previously I created maps online and just uploaded shape files.  (as in my original message)  I'm so confused now.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

In re-reading this thread, are you using ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro to publish the feature layer to AGOL?  Or are you strictly using AGOL for all the work?  I wonder if you're a Level 1 user which could prevent publishing layers to AGOL.

0 Kudos
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Robert for the reply, and sorry for the confusion…here’s whats happening:

Orignially I create a map using Arcgis online, uploaded my zipped shape files for my personal data.

I have since loaded Arcgis pro, created a new map on my local machine, and now want to create a web map for sharing. When I select the “web” button, is when I get the error message. I have attached a screenshot of my licensing page.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Thx for the update Mike.  Now I'm tracking with your workflow.  The attached screenshot did not come through unfortunately.  Is your AGP a Home Use program or are you using from your employer?  The reason I ask is I wonder if you have the necessary publishing rights with your license.  That could explain what's happening.

0 Kudos
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

I can tell you that when looking at my licensing page withing arcgis pro, under the extensions, it appears I do not have the publisher extension.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hmmm...that could explain it perhaps.  I'll do some more digging on my side.

0 Kudos
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Robert. As I mentioned in my original, I can create a map on Esri ArcGIS online, and upload zipped shape files there, but it would be nice to be able to upload “on the fly” from pro.

MKH

0 Kudos
PanGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Mike Henson‌,

I don't think the issue is related to the "Publisher" extension in your PRO but likely to your ArcGIS account type.

There are 2 type of AGOL Account:

1. Public Account: You can't publish from PRO

2. Organizational account: 

you must be Level 2  - Creator.

If you are creator but still you can't publish it probably means that your administrator revoked  this functionality, you can ask to grant it for you by modifying your role.

If I login with the account I am writing right now, I get the same Warning as yours because is a Public account.

With my Organizational account, I publish content without any problem.

Hope it helps.

Pan

0 Kudos
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

Sounds like I’m getting closer….How do I change from intern to creator?

MKH

0 Kudos