Edit Features option not available for feature service

05-17-2017 11:40 AM
NicuIcriverzi
New Contributor

Hi all, I am fairly new to feature services so am wondering if someone who has lots of experiences with feature services can help.

I published a map service with feature access enabled. With all the add/delete/etc enabled except for sync which option whenever we try to enable, created an error message. Ideally, I want to be able to add the map service to ArcGIS desktop and be able to edit it through Edit Features>>Create Local Copy for Editing from the context menu. However, when I bring in the map service (with feature access enabled) to the ArcGIS desktop, there is no option for Edit Features. I tested by adding a lot of different services from ArcGIS.online (through Add data from ArcGIS.online) to my map and was able to see this option showing up in the context menu for a lot of the feature service from ArcGIS.online.

I guess my question is two folds. 1. I noticed that the Edit Features option shows up for all the feature services but not map service (for my case anyways). Does it mean map service can not be edited in ArcGIS desktop (even we have feature access enabled??). But I have see a tutorial from a guy who successfully edit a map service using Edit Features so I am confused. 2. Is this has something to do with version of the database??

Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

Nicu,

Whenever, we publish a service to ArcGIS Online it always creates a hosted map service as default and when we enable feature access it allows us to edit/update features.

In your case if you want to edit the features on your desktop you need to enable or check the Sync capability as well.

If you refer Publish hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS it is mentioned.

• Enable Sync—This allows people to download maps containing the hosted feature layer, edit the data, and synchronize their changes back to the hosted feature layer.

Generally, a map service or a hosted map service is basically used for query purposes whereas the Feature Service is for editing. If you want to edit the data online then Sync option is not required. However, if you want to edit data from the service by creating a local copy you need to enable Sync capability.

I hope this helps.

~Shan

~Shan
0 Kudos
NicuIcriverzi
New Contributor

Thank you Sarkar!

We manage to make it working. The issue was the connection to AGServer. Instead using a connection user we tried to use an admin one.

Nicu

0 Kudos