Select to view content in your preferred language

Discusion What is better for administrating data in AGOL gdb or shape files?

11-11-2022 04:52 AM
Reneta_Vaglarova
New Contributor

Hi everyone, 

My question is more like wondering about the management of the data inside the organization of AGOL. 

In my experience till now I always had this "rule" - It is better to collect data in GDB. But now in AGOL to me, it looks like it is better to post shape files as hosted feature layers because it is easier to be updated. 

For example, if I have gdb posted as a feature layer, seems like there is no way to upload a feature class inside this posted gdb.

Thank you for all the replies. 

Greetings, 

Reni

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Richard_Purkis
Esri Contributor

Hi @Reneta_Vaglarova 

It doesn't matter if you chose to use a shapefile or an FGDB as a source dataset to create a hosted feature service, you can append data to this or overwrite it with either shapefiles, FGDBs or other formats.

Example workflows just to name a few:

• With ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Pro you can add the hosted service to the map and make live edits to it.
  • With ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Pro you could add a updated local version of the data to a map and overwrite the existing service.
  • Within ArcGIS Online you can Append Data to the layer. This data can be in various formats; csv/xlsx, geojson, shapefile or FGDB

Let me know if this helps 

0 Kudos