Description text badly formatted in Side by Side Viewer

05-09-2012 02:18 PM
DonBarker
Occasional Contributor
I'm using the Side by Side Viewer to show three maps here:

http://www.arcgis.com/apps/Compare/Configure/index.html?appid=a217b3d5a10d48e7a0f004c503da9f66

The text from the Desciption field for each of the three maps is badly formatted and mostly unreadable.  The Side by Side Viewer app is not preserving the formatting in the 3 source maps, which all look fine in the ArcGIS Viewer description page.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks,
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jennifer_Vaughan-Gibson
Esri Contributor
Did you copy and paste this text from some other source?

Try copying the text in notepad to clear out any formatting (i.e. the white background) - copy as plan text.

Before you do that remove the original text, and save with a blank description. The copy the plain text from the notepad.

That should solve your problem.
0 Kudos
DonBarker
Occasional Contributor
Thanks for taking time to reply.

In fact, I'm copying and pasting text only within the ArcGIS Viewer publishing framework.  I use one AGO map app as a template for Details page, tags, etc. for all my maps.  I've spent a good deal of time and effort carefully formatting the Details page for this template.  Shame to dump all that by pasting the text into Notepad.

So the problem originates mostly inside AGO itself.  I noticed while troubleshooting that the editing feature in the ArcGIS.com Viewer does not allow us to choose "no background".  So when I clicked "white" to try to remove the dark background that was produced in the Compare Viewer, I was stuck with an explicitly white background.  Can't get rid of the background.

OK... Starting over with Notepad.  So much for using an AGO map template...
0 Kudos