Custom web style in Map Viewer

Jump to solution
05-10-2021 11:57 AM
KevinMayall
Occasional Contributor III

I've published a simple style from Pro to ArcGIS Online for testing.  It has just one point symbol created from a standard shape marker in Pro symbology.  I added the style to a Group and made that group the default 2D web style group in my organization's settings.

I added a point layer to a new map in Map Viewer (new, not Classic) and went to the Style settings, and the uploaded style was listed.  However, when I try to load its symbols, the interface just spins and spins.  Screenshot attached.

Not sure what I am doing wrong.

I am following the guidance in this blog post.

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/mapping/use-published-2d-symbols-in-arcgis-o...

@RussRoberts 

Kevin
19 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

We auto share the esri default styles to the group so they will be around but if you really want them removed you can take them out of the group.

0 Kudos
KyleOberg
New Contributor III

Got it. I assumed that was the case but didn't want to be left without default symbol galleries after changing web styles group to my own.

0 Kudos
KyleOberg
New Contributor III

Experiencing same symptoms as Kevin with gallery not loading in symbol selector. Custom web style available as option but gallery is blank and spinning endlessly. Shared web style item and web style group with everyone, but no change in behavior.

Using esri Transportation style shared as web style from Pro. Corrected 5 errors due to noncompliant characters in key name. Also, 71 items removed due to unsupported 2D web styles but hoping the remaining 276 symbols meet my current needs. Any help greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

I think it might be due to some other characters not being caught in the analyzer which makes a bad URL to query the resource. If you know how to open the developer console in chrome and look at  the console you will see an error about a resource not being accessible.

So for one I see the "." in the key is creating a bad url and cannot find the resource. removeing the "." will fix it.

"https://****.maps.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/***/resources/styles/cim/U.S. Route Shield.json"

0 Kudos
KyleOberg
New Contributor III

Not sure how to open developer console in chrome to verify access to resource but I'll clean up the style item keys and republish. Lots of special characters found in item keys of Transportation style. I originally removed only those listed in documentation.

Hopefully that's all it takes. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
BrettRosso
New Contributor III

@KyleOberg  @RussRoberts  Was this ever resolved? Also trying to get the transportation style for use to build a traffic control web application which they need MUTCD signs for. Still getting the spinning circle. Have an open case with tech support but haven't resolved it yet. Thanks in advance!

Brett Rosso

City of Longmont

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

The issue was with the style file having some unsupported characters and Pro was not flagging or removing them on publishing time which caused broken resources in the web style. If you can update the the key field in Pro on the symbol to remove the illegal characters and republishing will fix the issue. 

0 Kudos
BrettRosso
New Contributor III

Hi Russell,

Thank you so much! I got it working after removing those illegal characters. Much appreciated.

Brett

DaynedeGroot
New Contributor

@RussRoberts I followed your guide to sharing web styles, I can see the web style in my group on portal, the group is set to shared with everyone, and the group is listed as web style group under organization settings. but when i go into web viewer beta i dont see my symbols. I'm trying to share a style for APP6D military symbols to be used in portal. im using enterprise 10.8 and pro 2.8

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Commented on your blog question but just incase you didnt catch the notification

These style categories wont work with Map Viewer Classic or Web AppBuilder. These symbols will work with Map Viewer which depending on the enterprise version may have been a beta version. When the symbols are used in maps older applications like Map Viewer Classic, Web AppBuilder which rely on simple picture mark while the new symbols are based off a CIM spec which exposes the vector symbol styling to the Map Viewer.

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-enterprise/announcements/map-viewer-beta-in-arcgis-...

0 Kudos