Custom CSS for Basic Template

Jump to solution
01-07-2016 07:07 PM
JamesPreston
Occasional Contributor

I have been adding some custom CSS to the Basic Template application to try and bring the design more in line with our organisation's branding. I have been mostly successful, but am having trouble changing anything relating to the search button.

Currently it still has a grey colour by default, which changes to white on hover. I want to change those colours. I managed to make changes to the colour and hover colour for the search input bar, but this has stumped me. What class or id should I be looking for?

Any suggestions would be great.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

And if you want to change the background color - behind the search icon you can use this:

.arcgisSearch .searchBtn:hover, .arcgisSearch .searchBtn:focus {
    background-color: #0084A8;
}

.arcgisSearch .searchBtn {
    background-color:#73DFFF;
}

I'd love to see a screen capture of the updates you make to the template using the custom css option. We (the template team) are curious about how this option will be used to customize the template.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi James,

You can adjust the color by adding the following to the styles.css file:

.arcgisSearch .searchIcon {
    color: blue;
}
JamesPreston
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Jake. This has worked for me, and things are starting to come together nicely.

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins

And if you want to change the background color - behind the search icon you can use this:

.arcgisSearch .searchBtn:hover, .arcgisSearch .searchBtn:focus {
    background-color: #0084A8;
}

.arcgisSearch .searchBtn {
    background-color:#73DFFF;
}

I'd love to see a screen capture of the updates you make to the template using the custom css option. We (the template team) are curious about how this option will be used to customize the template.

JamesPreston
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Kelly.

I am still working through my changes, but will be happy to share with you once I am done. I am teaching myself CSS as I go, and am finding it mostly straight forward, but I will no doubt have a few more questions to post up here before I am done.

JamesPreston
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kelly - I have a screenshot to share with you. I did try to share the application but my organisation won't allow it. Perhaps when we launch it with some of our live maps I can send you a link.

Capture.JPG

It is not a huge departure from the basic template, but it has taken on enough of the look of our organisation's website that I am quite happy with it.

I managed to work through how to change colours, shapes and fonts easily enough, but struggled when it came to positioning and responsiveness for mobile/tablets. I taught myself CSS from some entry level courses on Lynda.com, and I think I will continue with some of the more in depth courses when I have the time.

Overall I am very happy with the added functionality of custom CSS. Especially due to the fact that I do not have server space available to me in our organisation, so all customisation is limited to what is provided in the app builders.

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins

James it looks really nice! Glad you found the custom css option - looks like you managed to teach yourself quite a bit of CSS.

0 Kudos
JamesPreston
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kelly - I thought you might be interested in one of our live examples of my template adjustments. You can see my Play Area Finder here. I have also used it on a Basketball Finder app, and am planning to apply it out to another couple of apps. And here is our website, which I used as a design guide.

There are still other changes that I would like to implement, but it is all dependent on finding the time to delve back into it.

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins

Very cool thanks so much for sharing the links! Its always nice to see how people modify the default css to create a custom look.

0 Kudos