CSV - ERROR "duplicate field" message

06-28-2019 12:01 PM
EvelynChan
New Contributor

Hi all,

I have been running into the same issue with Arc Online where I try to import from file and upload my CSV but it shows the error message "An error occurred while creating features. (Duplicate field names are not allowed. ())" This has been occurring even when:

1. I make sure my headings don't have spaces (instead, they would be filled with "_").

2. And I have ensured that there are no duplicate field names. 

Is there alternate way to upload my CSV so I can have my point data on my map?

Thank you in advance. 

0 Kudos
11 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Try opening the csv in notepad. In the initial line (the header), are there a bunch of commas at end like this? ,,,,,,

Sometimes this happens when saving. This is then interpreted as duplicate fields.

Could you share your csv?

-Kelly

EvelynChan
New Contributor

Thank you for your insight Kelly! I think that may be one of the issues with my data set. Mind letting me know how you approach this so that the issue won't occur?

-Ev

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

If you are working with your data in excel before converting the file to a csv, make sure you delete any extra fields you may have typed in. If you find this happens frequently, try opening the csv before publishing so you can start to understand what is causing the blank fields to be created in the CSV while using excel. 

-Kelly

0 Kudos
JanelleLeza
New Contributor II

I am experiencing the same issue and followed the advice re: viewing in notepad. Sure enough the commas are there. As I downloaded the file from an online source, I did not conduct the conversion to CSV. I cannot figure out how to remove the blank fields that are causing this error. Do you have any advice on how to understand/discover what is causing these blank fields?

0 Kudos
EvelynChan
New Contributor

I am also having the same issue too! Another thread also recommended removing all spaces from your header and replacing it with "_". This has not fixed my issue unfortunately. But I will keep trying! Do feel free to update your progress too!

0 Kudos
EvelynChan
New Contributor

Thanks Kelly! Unfortunately, even after opening and fixing in CSV, removing spaces, and putting only 2 columns of info down - the same message is present. 

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

How was the CSV created? Are you able to share it?

0 Kudos
EvelynChan
New Contributor

Sorry, I can't share it due to it's sensitive details. I had "Saved As" - CSV. 

0 Kudos
JanelleLeza
New Contributor II

Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure how the CSV was created. The data I am working with is publicly accessible. Please find the open data, attached.

0 Kudos