Select to view content in your preferred language

Crowdsource Polling - mismatched boundaries upon zoom

Jump to solution
09-12-2017 08:26 AM
ShariForbes
New Contributor III

When the Crowdsource polling app zooms to my project the automatic blue selection (i.e. project boundary) on the interactive map doesn't match the actual boundary of the project (see attachment). Once the user clicks on the actual project or within the project boundary (as they are polygons) the blue selection boundary fixes itself. We are worried when we roll this out to the public the mismatched blue selection will confuse them as to where the actual boundary of the project lies. Please advise. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AllisonMuise1
Regular Contributor

Shari Forbes‌,

Thanks for pointing this out! What's happening is the app is using the maximum allowable offset value of the initial map extent when drawing the blue selection polygon. This value allows features to draw at scales where simplified versions of those features optimize performance. Because of the difference in scales between the original map zoom level and the zoom level where the features show best, you are seeing the difference between the actual feature and the simplified selection feature.

Based on your feedback, we've put together a plan to address this in an ArcGIS Online release later this year. In the meantime, if you'd like to reduce the differences between the selection polygon and the actual features, I suggested saving the map at a zoom level that is closer to the scale at which the features will be viewed.

If you'd like to contact support to log an official bug report, please mention this thread to the analyst. If not, you can track the progress of this work on the GitHub repository for the app:

selection polygon doesn't match feature boundaries · Issue #191 · Esri/crowdsource-polling · GitHub 

-Allison Muise

ArcGIS for Local Government

View solution in original post

5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Shari,

Is there an underlying layer that takes the shape of the mismatching boundary? - in other words is the selection happening onto a different layer than the one you want to user to look at? Are you able to share the map here for us to take a look?

0 Kudos
ShariForbes
New Contributor III

Hello. 

The only layers are the polygon zoning cases themselves, the point files showing responses, the related table, and the aerial. 

Here's the link. http://planogis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/CrowdsourcePolling/index.html?appid=88b69158dfb84ee58bd658b7ec7... 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Shari,

I am able to reproduce the issue. If you haven't already attempted quickly recreating your layer and the application, you could probably give that a try.

Otherwise, this is probably a bug related to the app... I would suggest reporting it to Esri Support?

0 Kudos
AllisonMuise1
Regular Contributor

Shari Forbes‌,

Thanks for pointing this out! What's happening is the app is using the maximum allowable offset value of the initial map extent when drawing the blue selection polygon. This value allows features to draw at scales where simplified versions of those features optimize performance. Because of the difference in scales between the original map zoom level and the zoom level where the features show best, you are seeing the difference between the actual feature and the simplified selection feature.

Based on your feedback, we've put together a plan to address this in an ArcGIS Online release later this year. In the meantime, if you'd like to reduce the differences between the selection polygon and the actual features, I suggested saving the map at a zoom level that is closer to the scale at which the features will be viewed.

If you'd like to contact support to log an official bug report, please mention this thread to the analyst. If not, you can track the progress of this work on the GitHub repository for the app:

selection polygon doesn't match feature boundaries · Issue #191 · Esri/crowdsource-polling · GitHub 

-Allison Muise

ArcGIS for Local Government

ShariForbes
New Contributor III

Thank you so much Allison!