Select to view content in your preferred language

Create multipart features in experience builder edit widget?

10-11-2023 09:07 AM
SFM_TravisBott
Frequent Contributor

Is it possible to create multi part features in the edit widget in Experience Builder? Can't seem to find a way. 

If not, why?

3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

To your first question: no. The edit widget there is meant for editing existing features and for creating singlepart geometries.

As far as the "why", that's a question for the AGOL developers, but I suspect it is just a lot more complexity to pull off. Maybe it's on the roadmap for future updates or something.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
SFM_TravisBott
Frequent Contributor

@jcarlson I find this answer a little flat. You say "the edit widget there is meant for editing existing features and for creating singlepart geometries" as if wanting to create multipart features is somehow out of scope and presumptuous. 

I ask 'why' facetiously. Of course that's a question for the developers. And I constantly wonder with Esri's products why relatively common operations, like creating multi-part features, isn't thought of when they roll things out. 'Hard to pull off' isn't really a good excuse, seeing as there's absolutely no limitation on multi part features in a feature service itself, just the widget that allows for it. 

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You're putting words in my mouth here. I don't think it's presumptuous or out of scope; there are plenty of multipart feature services out there even in my own org that would be great to be able to fully interact with through the web interfaces, but we're hamstrung by the tools available to us. Multipart editing (particularly creating new features) often drives us to desktop tools when our workflows would otherwise not require it.

Sorry for the flat answer. But it was a simple question "is it possible" with a simple answer "no". Or hopefully, it's "not yet".

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos