Create a View Layer

04-12-2022 07:39 AM
AmandaBeck
Occasional Contributor

Hi all, 

I have learned that it is not a good idea to create a web map that will be shared with a group using any of the layers created in ArcGIS Online after publishing a survey from Survey123. My goal is to create a View Layer from the Hosted Feature Layer that is created after publishing the survey. 

When I go to do this I get an error message that reads "This view layer could not be created. Try again."

I realize that I technically could just share the stakeholder layer with the group and make a web map with that layer, but as I have read, I do not think that is good practice. 

Any thoughts as to why it will not allow me to create the view layer to use in my web map? 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello Amanda,

A few questions come to mind... are you the owner of the hosted feature layer? What type of permissions or role do you have?  What browser are you using?  What is your internet connection speed?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
AmandaBeck
Occasional Contributor

Hi there, 

I am the owner of the hosted feature layer, as I created the survey in Survey123 (browser version). I believe I have a creator license. I am using Google Chrome. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Where is the hosted feature layer hosted before publishing?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

I just saw this thread.  Looks like @SaraHopkins has the same issue you had but found a workaround.  I suggest reading the entire post, because some users had to change the location of their hosted feature before publishing.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-online-questions/why-isn-t-create-view-layer-working-for-some/m... 

Amanda Bishop, GISP