Copy layer in new Map Viewer

Jump to solution
04-19-2021 05:04 AM
Labels (1)
KevinMayall
Occasional Contributor III

With the newly released Map Viewer, I can't find a way to simply copy a layer that is already in the map.  You have a layer that is styled a certain way, and you just want to create another layer, same data, with a slight modification to the style/label/pop-up.

It seems I have to go back to adding from My Content all over again.  It was there in Map Viewer Classic.  Am I missing something?

Kevin
Tags (1)
23 Replies
JoeBryant1

I'll add another vote to get this done, ASAP. I will not switch back and forth to Map Viewer Classic from a map I authored in the new Map Viewer, because I know a whole bunch of things will break. For instance, the new pop-up Arcade expressions. Instead, I'm forced to recreate all my copy layers from scratch.

RandyMcGregor3

Not only is switching back and forth between classic and new viewer cumbersome, it often breaks symbolization because the difference viewers are not compatible in the symbolization they can handle, and sometimes has very strange and unpredictable effects days later.

0 Kudos
DavidGordhamer
New Contributor

My vote to this topic also.  I have some involved layers that would be very time consuming to recreate from scratch every time.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Throwing my name into the hat here. 

Seeing how it is mid q1 of 2022, Any forecasted date for the copy function?

I agree with everyone's comments on this thread, this is unacceptable. 

CindyRendl
New Contributor II

Yeh, I am still waiting and actually this morning needed to do it again and had to go back to old version of map viewer to do it.  

Cindy Rendl

sarahc_WellingtonCounty
New Contributor III

@ChrisWhitmore 

Can you please provide an update on this? Still waiting to see this functionality.

ThomasHoman

Vote +1 here as well! @ChrisWhitmore  

I am trying to get redistricting maps out under the new map and the lack of such functionality is brutal. My HFL has our 3 options so setting up 1 layer then copying/changing the filter is much more efficient.

Any piece of web gingerbread (blingy fluff) that trumps basic functionality needs to wait.

Respectfully,

Tom

KevinMayall

It looks like a "duplicate" layer function is coming in March 2022 update.  Rejoice!

Kevin
ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi! Duplicate / copy is here! Sorry I did not post earlier..wanted to make sure it was released before making any other statements on when it is coming. 

You will find duplicate layer in the layer menu as well as in layer properties - 

ChrisWhitmore_0-1648014568266.png

As well as from the Properties panel -> Information section

ChrisWhitmore_1-1648015097660.png

A couple other notes:

- Duplicate is only supported for feature layers currently..other layer types will be coming in subsequent releases.

- Support for save layer was really close for this release..can expect it to be part of the release planned for June / July.

Cheers!

Chris

CindyRendl
New Contributor II

Awesome!  Thank you so much!

0 Kudos